Using Code 25 as solid state amp

votes

Hi, I have seen on the forum that the code can be used as a solid state amp if all the amp /preFX / cab etc are turned off. After trying this on my code 25  I found that   the tone knobs ( bass/ treble and mids )  and the gain  don't work so all I can do is adjust the volume. After speaking to a code 50 owner he reported that on the 50 even after turning off all amp/ preFX. etc the tone knobs are functional. 

Regards.

asked 05 Jan 2018 at 06:12 PM

Martin Blyth (27)
try this..
https://my.marshall.com/presets/details/2596881/the-code-david-doss
- dave thomas 05 Jan 2018 at 11:42 PM
Cheers mate, but I tried this preset and still I can't get my tone controls to work. - Martin Blyth 06 Jan 2018 at 12:23 AM
Answers: 1

votes

Hi Martin.

What are you specifically trying to achieve?  The CODE series are all solid state amplifiers that have modelling software that (very well) reproduces the sound and feel of a tube or valve amplifier (which costs far more money.) 

There are a bunch of multieffects pedals out there that do essentially the same thing as the CODE series, but without the focus on accuracy of the Marshall sound.  They also do not have the added benefit of being contained in an amplifier with speakers tuned specifically to the modelling software and amp.  Line6 POD, Vox ToneLab are examples of this.

If you have one of these modelling pedals, and you would still like to use it with the CODE, Marshall have accomodated you.  Now you have two modelling devices and an amp to play through.  Should you choose to use the modelling of a pedal instead of what is built into the CODE, then use the Natural Preamp.  You should be able to adjust EQ and everything else on whatever pedal you are using, but the Natural Preamp should also give this feature.  Some of the pedals (like the ToneLab LE) have ways to adjust for the size of the amp/speaker cab you are using, so that you get this adjustment throughout all presets, and you don't have to tweak each one individually should you wish to use your same presets on different amps/cabs.

Overall, I think if you use the Natural preamp, you should get what you may want.

I hope this helps.

answered 06 Jan 2018 at 03:13 PM

Mark Hallman (25)
Cheers for that mark I will give it a try.. - Martin Blyth 06 Jan 2018 at 10:44 PM
Loading - please wait...