do 8 gauge strings brake more easily

votes

after discovering most famous rock legends used 8 gauge or below  i wanted to try them out but dont know if they will brake more easily

asked 16 Feb 2018 at 04:47 PM

Thomas Hyder
Answers: 2

votes

Breaking a string happens because (1) your playing a style that doesn't suit the string gauge, like shredding or heavy attack on the string, or excessive bending, (2) the strings are old and corroded, (3) the guitar has sharp edges on the nut or bridge that cause the string to be stressed. It's the side to side motion that is the primary cause of failure. When you change gauge you MUST take the time to have the guitar set up properly. If you are experiencing frequent string failure then you have a problem with the hardware. Other than that, it comes down to personal preference and feel.

Ernie Ball makes a wide variety of sets that will allow you to experiment, and their quality is very consistent. My suggestion to you is that if you like extra light tops but still want power chords or a heavy strum then try a set that is referred to as 'light top heavy bottom'. Or buy strings individually to create a custom set.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

answered 18 Feb 2018 at 06:33 PM

Dave Duncan (57)

votes

Hey Thomas.

Notice you used the word "used".  Most of MY "rock legends" started out with the lightest strings possible and (those that are still alive and kicking today anyway) have all moved to the heaviest strings they can find!!!  LOL!!!

Me, myself, and I: use only D'Addario NYXL's 9's.  They have much more "jangle" (they're brighter) and seem to last longer than the Ernie Ball variety that I've always used / used to use.  Never had a string break either (not in a year or so anyway of daily use).  Playing style is rather heavy on all counts (especially my Dio / Vivian Campbell stuff).  Dunno if it makes a difference but I am absolutely anal about cleaning my strings and guitar after every hour or so of use (strings cleaned using 90% Ethyl Alcohol).  Oh and hands scrubbed (literally) with dishwashing liquid and ammonia containing cleaner before even touching the instrument!!!  LOL!!!  It's like playing with a new guitar and new set of strings every hour.  Works for me!!!

Possibly on a more serious note: lighter strings will, at very least, ensure that your finger strength goes to "you know what".

Regards,

Dale.

answered 19 Feb 2018 at 10:55 AM

Dale Paterson (105)
Loading - please wait...