Marshall CODE 100c High End Issue

votes

I've been playing with my CODE 100 2x12" for about two months now and I've noticed no matter what I do to my amp settings(lower the treble, lower the presence/resonance, lower the tone setting of various fx, etc.) I still hear this metallic high end that can really be shrill at times. Is this an issue across all of the CODE amps or is there something I'm missing here with my settings and the combinations? My firmware is up to date as well. 

EDIT: I have now sat down and experimented with the amp again. I cannot get a tone without any super high treble. It's now bugging me to the point of wanting my money back. I have tried every possible combination of pre amp/power amp/cab, I have turned off each individually and still had the issue. I turned the treble all of the way down and turned the presence all of the way down and the tone is still shrill. I either have a faulty amp or this amp, in general, sounds like garbage. It sounded great at first but I didn't realize how bad it was because the noise only happens when you get about 8 feet away which is annoying because my audience hears all of this high end and no articulation. Please, if anyone has any information on this, let me know. My guitar has an extremely balanced tone(it plays fine through my two practice amps), the cables are all new, the firmware for the amp is up to date, and there is no electrical interference. Any idea as to what I should do, Marshall? I've been using your products for years and I love them but this has been disappointing .

edited 15 Mar 2018 at 07:22 PM

James Pilipovic II

asked 07 Mar 2018 at 03:38 PM

James Pilipovic II
Answers: 4

vote

The amps are a little bright so you need to make sure you back down the treble and presence down. Digital amps do tend to be much brighter than standard amplifiers so you would need to dial sound different to normal amps.

Marshall Support

answered 20 Mar 2018 at 09:15 AM

votes

Hi James,

Thank you for your message, have you tried any other guitars or cables to eliminate them causing the issue, its not something we have had reported, maybe speak to the store and get them to check over you Amp and Cab.

Marshall Support

answered 07 Mar 2018 at 04:16 PM

I have edited my post but will state what I have edited here. I have sat down and tried the amp once again and no combination of pre amp/power amp/cab would stop the shrill high end even when the treble and presence were turned all of the way down. My guitar has an extremely well balanced tone and sounds fine through my two practice amps, my cables are brand new and in great condition, and there is no electrical interference. At first I thought the amp sounded great but I was three feet away. Now, when standing 8 feet away or where the audience usually is for smaller shows, it has this terrible high end issue and just sounds terrible. Once again, this is with the treble and presence turned all of the way down. Either the amp is faulty or this series of amps is a failure. My firmware is up to date as well. - James Pilipovic II 15 Mar 2018 at 07:27 PM

votes

If you can go Bluetooth you'll find a lot of the settings have a high treble  l had the same probleml p

answered 07 Mar 2018 at 05:12 PM

jim kayne
It happens when you stand about 8 feet away or where the audience should be for smaller gigs. Even with treble and presence turned all of the way down, the shrill high end comes through. - James Pilipovic II 15 Mar 2018 at 07:29 PM

votes

The amp is in perfect working condition and the guitar is not the issue. I have tried my bandmate's Gibson SG, his Stratocaster, and his Telecaster, as well as my SGR 7-string and it all does the same thing. Tried different cables as well. I like creating my own presets and have even edited a stock preset and it still has the high end issue in the output. Don't worry, I'm not getting rid of the amp any time soon. I really like it but its high end can be unbearable at times. Especially with the JCM 800 amp setting. It's super hot and has tons of high end in the mix. It took a while to get a good tone out of it and even still, the high end is still very metallic.  I have seen on other forums that others have the same issue. Thegearpage.net will show you people have similar issues. If the high end could be fixed on the amp then I'd say it's perfect. It's close to perfect for me, still. Just wish there were a fix to it .

answered 07 Mar 2018 at 05:57 PM

James Pilipovic II
Loading - please wait...