Code 50 - Regular old school footswitch and Midi

votes

Hey all - new to the forums, new to Marshall amps and had a few questions about the Code 50 I just ordered that will be here in a day or so.  I have played my guitars through my buddy's Code 50 and am familiar with editing the patches, tweaking the tones and getting the sounds that I want from the amp to fit my playing style.  What I am not familiar with is the use of footswitch and any Midi capabilities it may have.

1) Can one use just a regular on/off type of old school footswitch to turn an effect or amp on/off or initiate a patch change?  I have several old school footswitches I have successfully used on many different amps, albeit older amps, and it has always worked.  Curious since the Marshall footswitch actually holds presets if anything like that would work.

2) As far as Midi goes, I come from a Line6 multi-effects world and know that many of their multi-effect units have the capability to control effects on/off/parameters and patch/bank switching via Midi commands.  Does the Code software have anything like that if hooked up to a PC/Mac running a DAW that has the capability to send midi control commands to change patches/effects realtime during recording/playback.

Thanks for any input and excited to get this amp.  I am a player of over 30 years and have only ever played through Crate amps for the past 20+ years that have finally given up and the cost to repair is more than new.  Bash Crate all you want but they were loud and proud and with the right EQ/effects loops made some damn good musical sounds.

asked 20 Mar 2018 at 03:04 AM

Billy Nab
Answers: 4

vote

Hello.

To begin with see my post here:

https://my.marshall.com/forum/question/1255/foot-switch-compatible-with-code-100h-?filterType=recent

Now:

1) Can one use just a regular on/off type of old school footswitch to turn an effect or amp on/off or initiate a patch change?  I have several old school footswitches I have successfully used on many different amps, albeit older amps, and it has always worked.  Curious since the Marshall footswitch actually holds presets if anything like that would work.

Nope.  As per my post.  And: the Marshall PEDL-91009 does not store presets i.e. they are stored on the amp. itself.

2) As far as Midi goes, I come from a Line6 multi-effects world and know that many of their multi-effect units have the capability to control effects on/off/parameters and patch/bank switching via Midi commands.  Does the Code software have anything like that if hooked up to a PC/Mac running a DAW that has the capability to send midi control commands to change patches/effects realtime during recording/playback.

Yes.  If connected to a PC/Mac running a DAW.

Thanks for any input and excited to get this amp.  I am a player of over 30 years and have only ever played through Crate amps for the past 20+ years that have finally given up and the cost to repair is more than new.  Bash Crate all you want but they were loud and proud and with the right EQ/effects loops made some damn good musical sounds.

Oddly enough: my first stacks were Crates (have not seen that name in years) admittedly because, at the time, no Marshall products were available (new) in the country (South Africa) due to sanctions (and that should give my age away!!!  LOL!!!).

Hope the above helps and answers your questions.

Regards,

Dale.

answered 24 Mar 2018 at 10:30 AM

Dale Paterson (105)
Hey Dale,

Thanks for replying and sharing the thread. I figured using any other type of foot switch would likely be out, but good to know on the midi. I play mostly at home recording and since my Line6 and old Crate amps are toast thought this to be best of both modeling and amp in one and it really works for what I wanted so far. This week I will get it hooked up to the Mac and try some automation on it.

I had several crates - G60xl, G80 and finally settled on a 990 limited edition G120CXL with the spring reverb and chorus running 120watts with 2 12". Added 2 4x12 cabinets and turned off the combo's speaker (there was a built in switch for it on that model) and used it as a 120watt amp head. Main gigging rig for 20 years.
- Billy Nab 24 Mar 2018 at 03:12 PM

votes

Hey Billy.

A pleasure (and a pleasure to make your acquaintance).

Dunno what these were (but I can tell you that the pic. was taken in the '80s i.e. in another lifetime!!!  LOL!!!):

I also added 4x12" cabs. just after the above pic. was taken but didn't have them very long after that (played one gig with them if I remember correctly).  Didn't care for them much but only because they were not Marshall (my heart was set on Marshall at the time so it was more emotive really).  Quit funny really having gone from an old, VERY used, Marshall valve head and cab. to Crate tranny. amps. to Marshall CODE!!!  LOL!!!  For what it's worth: these CODE amps. are the greatest in my opinion (got 3 x 25's and 2 x 50's).  I don't have any of the hassles reported on the forums (other than the Master Volume Control issue which really is not a train smash at the end of the day).  And as somebody posted somewhere else around here: if you cannot get the sound that you're looking for out of these CODE amps. then you probably should not be mucking about with modelling amps. anyway (something to that effect anyway).

Anyways.  Keep in touch.  If YOU come across any footswitches (alternates) that work then do lemme know i.e. you'd be surprised the lengths I've had to go to just to get two CODE amps. to switch presets simultaneously via a footswitch (everything gotta be in stereo you know!!!  LOL!!!).

Regards,

Dale.

answered 24 Mar 2018 at 03:57 PM

Dale Paterson (105)

votes

I had never been much interested in Marshall after trying some out with my old Ibanez RG550 from the 80s - I just didn't like the sound combination so I just stuck with what I had.  Here's a pic of my last two Crates as the sit in storage today - the 990 G120cxl and the last 4x12 cab.  Actually the cabinet is loaded with Celestions and still sounds fanstastic even though it looks rough - so much so I am going to modify my Code 50 with a switching 1/4" jack so I can plug the cab into it and it will switch the Code 50 internal speaker off and push thru the 4x12 - move more are get different sound.  Now I play various guitars and find the sound I want has to be dialed in much more.  I agree if one cannot get the sound they like out of the Code they should use something different - I've had it less than a week and have 7-8 presets I've made to get the sounds I want - some varied for volume such as recording vs live playing with drums the settings have to be a bit different on eq/volume etc for me - some presets/user sounds sound great at 2-3 master volume and not so great 5-6 master volume and some strictly I use to practice at lower volumes.

answered 24 Mar 2018 at 04:50 PM

Billy Nab

votes

Wow.  Nice.  Those have seen some mileage (and I’ll wager could tell a story or two or three)!!!

Interesting (modifying the CODE to be able to use your cabs.).  Please be sure to post here and let us know what it sounds like (a nice recording would be great too).

Regards,

Dale.

answered 24 Mar 2018 at 05:44 PM

Dale Paterson (105)
Loading - please wait...