Code 50 stopped working

votes

Whenever I turn my amp on it just buzzes, and doesn’t pick up the guitar at all. It’s not the guitar because it still does it unplugged from both guitars I tried. Tried different outlets too. Can anyone help?

asked 26 Mar 2018 at 12:49 AM

Jaden Overbeck
Did you test the cable you're using? That is the guitar cable. Do you have a cable tester or another cable you can try it with? That's all I can think of right now. - WILLIAM F NAPPI 27 Mar 2018 at 07:13 AM
Answers: 2

votes

Hi Jaden,

Thank you for your message, I would suggest if you are getting no sound at all, to return the amp to the dealer and get an engineer to take a look at this for you.

Marshall Support

answered 26 Mar 2018 at 08:01 AM

votes

Hello William,

When you connected your Code to your PC were you trying to update the software? according to our data log it shows you started the update but it hasn`t fully completed.

Updating the firmware will not cause the CODE to have no sound through the speaker which implies there may be a underlying fault which is why we suggested that it is looked at by an engineer. 

To reset your CODE you hold down the amp button and switch on the unit then hold store to confirm when prompted.

Please let us know if the factory re set helps, but as we stated if the issue is no sound through the speaker then it would need to be looked at.

Kind Regards

Marshall Support

answered 27 Mar 2018 at 08:08 AM

JOANNA GREEN (643)
Hello Support. Yeah. I was having one issue after another. The cause behind the lack of sound coming from the speaker of the CODE 50 turned out to be the instrument cable I was using. It was making me nuts what was going on. I downloaded the Firmware quite a few times but where it states on the site that the Ver is 1.41 or so, whatever it is, it doesn't correspond with the V. no. that appears when I turn the amp on. It still doesn't, maybe it's two entirely different numbers that aren't supposed to match?????

I can control the amp from my phone now at least, turns out the newest Ver of Firefox 59.0.xx will support the software on my PC AND I downloaded it to my i-phone from Firefox as trying to download Chrome as your site recommends turned near-total psycho from the monotony and still nothing working.

So, I CAN control the amp for the most part using the app. Back to the sound production problem, as I mentioned it was the instrument cable I was using. I plugged it into a decent enough quality Cable Tester and the lights indicated the cable was fine. The lights indicated wrong as hours later I thought, "What the heck, try a different cable." BINGO! It was the cable. Moral of the story, you can't always rely on cable testers. (Does that s^or what?)

Finally, there was fire and fury still to come as holding down AMP while turning the amp on when prompted as you mentioned required another push of another button which I do not recall now. The instructions for how exactly to do this, i.e. continue holding down amp THEN pressing the other button (REV or POWER maybe, whichever that was too many hours ago to remember exactly. Either way it took a few go rounds to get that accomplished as well.

Finally on updating that Firmware. You say your records indicate the firmware download was interrupted. It was interrupted at one point, but I also received messages SEVERAL times after downloading that said, "Download Successful," still the Ver appearing on the Amps start screen did not correspond with the version number stated on the download, blah, blah, blah.

No offense but the Marshall site leaves a LOT to be desired. It's actually among the worst. Again, nothing against you personally, but this site is lacking sorely in organization and very, very limited in product information and support. Problem resolved thank you for your time. Say, the Code 50 uses a 12 inch, 50 Watt, 8 Ohm speaker. Do I have that correct? One of your guitar wizard customers corrected me and among other ignorant comments aimed at me said the speaker is 4 Ohms. I would think that would apply to the CODE 25 but I didn't feel he deserved a civil response so I didn't bother trying to explain as I was too busy degrading him back.

So, 8 Ohms 12 inches; no brand name; 50 Watts, correct? I REALLY could not find that on the site and there is NO spec sheet to be found on this site; in the manual, blah, blah, blah again. And thank you again for your time.
- WILLIAM F NAPPI 28 Mar 2018 at 05:11 AM
Hello William,
I am glad to hear that you have solved the sound issue with your CODE50, i can confirm the speaker in the CODE25 is a 10" 4 ohm 25watt. The speaker for the CODE50 is 12" 4ohm 50watt.

Kind Regards
Marshall Support
- JOANNA GREEN 28 Mar 2018 at 07:47 AM
Thank you for the confirming update. One of your other support people, and the first information I received on it, stated the speaker at a different Ohm rating than the 4 Ohms you confirmed. Thank you for your time, but I will STILL remove the back to ensure it is in fact 4 Ohms before I order one in case whoever you found out from was mistaken.

The 4 Ohm speaker I already have is only a 10 inch, could have sworn it was 12, might be in another cabinet already, might not be though either ... ehhheee I don't remember having a 12' 4 Ohm speaker now that I think of it, I'm rambling now, sorry ... lots to do, thank YOU for YOUR time.
- WILLIAM F NAPPI 28 Mar 2018 at 05:02 PM
Removed the back of the CODE 50. Had to pry it off gently with a tool for removing parts from cars actually that you wouldn't want to scratch the paint, right. So to CONFIRM for you Support; the speaker does in fact have 4 Ohms Impedance, with a Power Capacity of 50 Watts . Pretty generic looking, no-brand name speaker, just a yellow label stuck to the back/outer part of the magnet that has the word "LOUDSPEAKERS" written on it in italic and capital letters. Below that is printed the other information I just wrote here: specifically, Power Capacity 50 Watts, then below that Impedance 4 Ohms; RoHs Compliant (good to know the manufacturer is playing by the rules even if they make, in my opinion crummy speakers. Nice looking, but the sound leaves some to be desired.

Now a technical question; if I were to put an 8 Ohm speaker in here to replace this one would I really only get the equivalent of say a 25 Watt power output; AND provided I didn't turn the amp to full crank; probably 1/2 way up max. So that wouldn't put to much stress on the power section of the amp and burn it up, would it? AGAIN, NEVER turning the Master and/or most like the Volume past 5 (halfway up.)

What do you think, or know Support, or anyone that can prove you're knowledgeable enough by what you say, not tell me where or how long and how great a school and awesome grades you got please. Action and proof is in the language after all, right?

Okay. Thank you for your time.
- WILLIAM F NAPPI 29 Mar 2018 at 12:26 AM
Hello William,
We would not recommend replacing the speaker with a 8 ohm speaker as the unit has been designed purposely with a 4 ohm speaker and replacing it with a 8 ohms speaker may cause damage.

Kind Regards
Marshall Support
- JOANNA GREEN 29 Mar 2018 at 07:15 AM
I appreciate your responding. Often I make or have made the mistake of missing the point of a question or someone's statement. So I'll ask again, rather ask you to re-read the question as I DID already state, I already stated 'how' the amp could be damaged. I know that part.

The question was: a) IF I DO NOT TURN the Master or the Volume past half way up. EVER. If I never, ever turn the Master Volume as well as the Volume past 5. (That's about half way up.) I REPEAT, if I never turn those controls more than halfway up, will it still damage the power section of the amp?

See that's going to put less stress on the load. <--- NOT A QUESTION. Fact.)

So, under those conditions provided I NEVER crank it past the halfway mark; will that prevent damage to the amp? I'm seriously not sure. I don't think it will put it that way. Some I am looking for a better qualified person to confirm my uncertainty.

Are you familiar with the term 'load' as it applies to amplification? If not, would you pass this question on to someone else please? If you have some quota for questions to answer so you aren't allowed to spend too much time on one question, fine. But if you'd be so kind. Thank you.
And finally for now: Thank you for taking the time to respond, but if you will read the question in its entirety without skimming over it? I apologize if my previous questions got a bit 'wordy.' and maybe rambled in parts.

I think I've been very clear here though, so in summary: under the conditions provided that I NEVER, ever the crank the amp past the halfway mark; will that prevent, repeat WILL THAT PREVENT damage to the amp? I'm seriously not sure. I don't think it will, put it that way. Some I am looking for a better qualified person to confirm my uncertainty. Thank you.
- WILLIAM F NAPPI 29 Mar 2018 at 03:30 PM
Hello William,
Your question was fully read and understood, but we would never recommend replacing a speaker for a different type or ohm rating other then the one that the speaker was manufactured with. As we have only tested the Code with a 4 ohms speakers we cannot comment on how the amplifier would react with a 8 ohm speaker even if the volume was never cranked up past half way, as we stated before this could cause damage. If the speaker was replaced and the amplifier was then damaged your warranty would become void as the speaker had been replaced, so we can only recommend that you do not change to a 8ohms speaker as we cannot guarantee that this would not cause any damage.

Kind Regards
Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 29 Mar 2018 at 03:49 PM
Okay, I'll buy that. Thank you for your time. I'm going to replace the stock speaker with a 4 Ohm Jensen actually. No worries about the warranty, I've got it. I have other amps, but not bragging, but with my experience changing it won't be a problem (except shelling out near $100 U.S. for the speaker. I like the amp, but I just can't get it to produce the sound I like and I think in great part it's that stock speaker.

I think replacing it will make a significant difference with the Marshall electronics and technology; it is relatively inexpensive. But to be clear, I absolutely, positively will use a 4 Ohm 50 Watt speaker and of course 12 inches. I appreciate your time in helping me with this.

Sincerely,
wfn
- WILLIAM F NAPPI 30 Mar 2018 at 02:48 AM
Loading - please wait...