Issues with BTLE connection on nearly every device I've tried.

vote

So I bought a Marshall CODE 50 a bit ago, and with nearly device I've tried - there seems to be a lot of issues with getting the gateway app to connect to the amplifier in general (most of the time it doesn't work - despite pairing just fine). 

I've tried this on the Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad 5th generation, iPhone 7+ - The connection issues seem to stem from the apps use of Btle on these devices. 

To experiment, I built an application that connects to the amplifier via bluetooth for Windows, and issues commands to the amplifier through the PC. This application uses a "classic" (SPP /RFCOMM) socket connection to send commands. The application works perfectly fine via this means - it can be seen running below: 

As an experiment - is there a way to force the mobile applications (if it isn't using a btclassic / rfcomm connection) to use a btclassic connection as opposed to btle? 

Thanks and all the best, 

Michael Mendelson

Principle Engineer, Pulse Interactive

Lead Software Engineer, Pirahna Bytes RED

edited 13 Apr 2018 at 11:01 PM

michael Mendelson (11)

asked 10 Apr 2018 at 04:53 AM

michael Mendelson (11)
Note: In building this application, it seemed (not sure if this is the case) that the CODE amplifier did not broadcast any btle ad packets. Despite manually enumerating all of the services available on the device.

Also - perhaps btclassic is used within the amp and the bluetooth radios are just not powerful enough on the mobile devices? I live in New York City, and as such there are tons of beacons and various other devices that advertise bt services. In that case, it would seem my best bet would be to just continue using this windows app I built.

Regards,
Michael Mendelson
- michael Mendelson 10 Apr 2018 at 05:03 AM
Answers: 3

votes

answered 16 Apr 2018 at 05:13 AM

michael Mendelson (11)

vote

Since the bluetooth problems are known by Marshall for over a year now and nothing happened since then, imo it would be the best if you could release your app for the public.

Maybe somebody who has expirience in programming for android/ios can also use your findings to implement it in an third party mobile app!?

Many thanks in advance!

answered 10 Apr 2018 at 10:54 AM

Torben Keller (17)
Hey Torben -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1QmY3Vr9BU&feature=youtu.be -- Check it out, this is the small app I mentioned above. I'll release all of the source code and an installer on github within a week or so. - michael Mendelson 12 Apr 2018 at 10:49 PM

votes

answered 12 Apr 2018 at 10:56 PM

michael Mendelson (11)
Loading - please wait...