Code 50 Line Out to a Mixer

votes

Does anyone have any tips for using the headphone jack on a Code 50 as a line-out to a mixer that goes into a PA system? I tried it over the weekendand it sounded terrible.

asked 23 Apr 2018 at 04:37 PM

Aaron Herbert (2)
I'm not an expert but the input of your mixer is what you need to consider
You maybe over driving it. Start with output very low to start.. hope that helps
- Christopher Gulley 30 Apr 2018 at 02:46 AM
Answers: 1

votes

Hi Aaron.

Have not been able to answer until now.

When you say "sounded terrible"???  Could you be a bit more specific???  If you mean "dry" and "harsh" then see below.

I spent way too may hours (days, weeks) trying to get the exact same sound as I was getting from the Marshall CODE itself (using the built in cab.) via USB or Line Out.  Didn't happen.  My solution: I run two CODEs (stereo) and both are micd. up to my mixer and then PA.  KILLER is all I can say.  There's just no substitute for the Marshall cabs. really (and, alright, mono vs. stereo is a personal preference I suppose).

May not be what you wanted to hear but this works 1 000% for me anyway.

Regards,

Dale.

answered 04 May 2018 at 07:09 PM

Dale Paterson (105)
I was going into a mixer then out to an IP2000 array. I think the issue may have been that I was trying to use a really poor quality cable. The volume was really low (I had to crank my amp volume) and sounded thin and weak. I was trying to use a cell phone type 3.5 mm cable adapted to the in a 1/4 connector I to the mixer. Would it be better to use a normal guitar cable with the 3.5mm to 1/4 adapter plugged into the code? - Aaron Herbert 05 May 2018 at 10:06 PM
Hi Aaron.

On the odd occasions when I do in fact use the Headphone / Line Out for output I'm just using a normal stereo 3.5mm jack to 2 x 1/4" jacks (L / R) adapter cable i.e. not a guitar cable or anything like that. And as I answered you here in the previous sentence I had a brainwave (maybe): maybe that could have something to do with this i.e. even although the CODE is mono the output from the Headphone / Line-Out is in fact stereo (dual mono to be precise). I wonder if this could not have something to do with your issue??? It shouldn't but who knows. What about trying a stereo 3.5mm jack to 2 x 1/4" jacks (L / R) adapter cable and using up two busses on your mixer??? Try that and see what happens??? Note that when I've used this configuration with a single CODE it's only ever been into a sound card and then you absolutely have to add some type of stereo widening / processing to the track otherwise it does indeed "sound terrible" i.e. "dry" and "harsh" and "nasty". Only other thing I can think of is levels maybe??? Remember that the Master Volume and the individual Preset Volume are independent of each other and the Master Volume controls the OVERALL level of the output from the Headphone / Line Out. Not sure what else. I would imagine the lower the impedance cable the better. Also (but I assume you know your mixer well): check your mixer settings. I know with mine I have an option to compensate for low level Line In inputs??? Come to think of it: have you tried listening to the thing through (stereo) headphones??? What does it sound like then (although it will not sound great for the reasons given above mainly because it's dual mono)??? Oh and by the way (others will argue with me here but I've proved it "done and dusted"): there is a BIG difference between the AUDIO signal (dual mono) that comes out of the Headphone / Line Out socket and the DIGITAL signal that comes out of the USB i.e. the signal that comes out of the USB indeed sounds digital. While BOTH need a lot of processing using the Headphone / Line Out (for recording anyway) is indeed preferable (humble opinion as always of course).

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Dale.
- Dale Paterson 06 May 2018 at 03:01 PM
Loading - please wait...