Code 25 is too loud

votes

This is not a question but a response to those who have asked if there is a way to reduce the output wattage on Code amps to make them quieter. The short answer is no, not out of the box.

However, the speaker(s) that come with Code amps are 4 ohm. In the case of the Code 25, you can swap it out for a Celestion G10N-40 10" 8 ohm speaker (about $70 on Amazon) and reduce the output from 25 watts to 12.5 watts due to the change from 4 ohms to 8 ohms. Instead of running the master volume at < 1 when I'm jamming with my stereo, I can now run it at about 3. The added bonus is better sound - you hear the distortion from the amp itself with less mud and distortion from the speaker. This will not harm the amp in any way as driving an 8 ohm load requires less of an amp than a 4 ohm load.

Full disclosure, this was not my idea. I read about this from another Code 25 owner. Enjoy!

asked 07 May 2018 at 07:35 PM

Bozo Clown (2)
Hi, this is something I have struggled with my cider since I got it so I will defenatly give this a go. can I just ask why you chose this particular replacement speaker (celestion G10 N-40) I haven't got experience with speaker and with so many choices on the market how did you come to this one.

Cheers for the post with a bit of luck I can tame my code25 for home use.
- Martin Blyth 08 May 2018 at 03:22 PM
Answers: 5

votes

Changing the speaker in the Code 25 seems like a fix the end user shouldn't have to do, and which will probably screw up the modelling.

I'm experiencing the same problem with my brand new Code 25... Hardly any sound until almost 1.0 on the master volume, then suddenly too loud for my apartment.

Rather than changing speakers at our expense, Marshall needs to stand behind their product and issue a firmware upgrade that will fix this.  How did such a problem make it past the design stage and into production?  I love the sounds this amp can produce, but I'm disappointed I don't have any kind of rational volume control.

edited 02 Jan 2019 at 09:16 PM

Mark Carter (2)

answered 02 Jan 2019 at 09:14 PM

Mark Carter (2)
Hi Mark,

I would suggest using the preset volume to help with this issue, each preset has its own volume level, by adjusting this will help with the master volume levels.

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 03 Jan 2019 at 08:54 AM
@Marshall Support, CODE 25 user manual says that MASTER controls the overall volume level of the amp. There is no reason why this control is not making gradual changes to the volume according to its scale and instead simply jumps from no sound to the max at about 1 so it's either too quiet or too loud. - Eduard Dudar 31 Jan 2020 at 01:27 AM

vote

The OP is correct. In fact, I am going to use a Celestion G10 Greenback @ 16 ohms for a 6.25 watt power output. The Greenback is rated at 95db 1watt/1meter so max SPL on my Code will be about 103db. Overimpeding a solid state amp has no detrimental effect and may actually make it more reliable. Less watts = less heat. Don't do this with a tube amp, and don't put a 2 ohm load on a SS amp rated at 4 ohms.

answered 15 Jul 2018 at 05:05 PM

Jeff Curran (1)
Hi did you even get around to swapping the stock speaker in your code 25 to the celestion G10 ? Is so what was the outcome I’m thinking of swapping mine speaker. Cheers - Martin Blyth 04 Jan 2019 at 08:05 PM

votes

Hi, this is something I have struggled with my cider since I got it so I will defenatly give this a go. can I just ask why you chose this particular replacement speaker (celestion G10 N-40) I haven't got experience with speaker and with so many choices on the market how did you come to this one.

Cheers for the post with a bit of luck I can tame my code25 for home use.

answered 10 May 2018 at 10:20 AM

Martin Blyth (27)
I read about someone else using that particular speaker to modify his Code 25. It made sense since Celestion speakers have been used I n Marshall speaker cabinets forever. The one that comes standard in the Code 25 is not branded so I'm not sure what it is. I suspect they use it to keep the price affordable. - Bozo Clown 10 May 2018 at 07:19 PM
They can't use guitar speaker like celestion because of built-in cab simulator, all models has different frequency range and for right emulation you need some neutral speaker - Denis Moysienko 15 May 2018 at 05:12 AM

votes

Hello.

OR: you could simply dial down the Preset Volume for each preset (just answered, YET ANOTHER, question about this).

Regards,

Dale.

P.S.  Just to add: the obvious problem with this is that the speaker cone is barely moving so you're missing out on that wonderful tone that can only come from the speaker at a reasonable "tilt".  Not sure if replacing the speaker as suggested here will improve on this though.  Could do.

edited 16 May 2018 at 08:47 AM

Dale Paterson (105)

answered 16 May 2018 at 08:44 AM

Dale Paterson (105)

votes

Hi,

I know this is an old post but I was having the same issue as well.  Rather than replacing the speaker I found a 200 ohm 25 watt resistor brings the volume way down to a pleasant level.  Some rough math says that should be about .5 watts of output, which is what another brand's amplifiers use as their lower power setting. Just in case I want to turn it back up again I installed a rocker switch to bypass the extra resistor. Just thought I'd share as these resistors can be had for about $4 and the install is super simple.

answered 20 Mar 2024 at 01:55 AM

Chad Barclay
Loading - please wait...