Using headphones with Marshall DSL5CR

vote

Dear Marshall,

Yesterday I got my Marshall DSL5CR Amp V010A4469E 03-18.
Please advice how I should use the headphones with this Amp for a "silent" practice? According to a manual I should disconnect the speaker cable from the rear panel and connect the headphones to an Emulated out port. But it is so unusual to use a valve amplifier without a load of speaker.

For example, according to a manual for DSL5C (maybe previous model):
IMPORTANT OPERATIONAL NOTE: With all-valve amplifiers it is imperative that the amp is connected to a load whilst in operation and that the impedance output on the amp matches the total impedance of the speaker cabinet being used.

asked 13 May 2018 at 09:50 AM

Sergey Zvonarev (1)
Hi Sergey,
It's true, I connected the headphones to the emulated output, after disconnecting the speaker, but the sound is really bad. Which kind of headphones do you use?
I used the AKG 240 KII, and you?
- Dario Canalis 22 May 2018 at 07:47 PM
Hello, Dario!

I use Sehnheiser HD 280 Pro.
Local retailer said the sound is bad because the amp is valve-based. Digital amps have better sound
- Sergey Zvonarev 24 May 2018 at 04:30 PM
Hello, Sergey
it's the sound of Marshall satisfying for you with the Sehnheiser HD 280 Pro headphones?
I also have a blackstar ht5hr amplifier and I feel great with the akg headphones and it's also a tube amp!
Maybe I have to find the headphones suitable for that emulated exit?
I also added a headphone amplifier to increase the volume, but the sound is still bad !!
What do you think about that?
Thank you
- Dario Canalis 24 May 2018 at 07:31 PM
Dario,

The sound in my headphones is bad too.
I think there is nothing to do about that. Maybe next century Marshall would be able to design a tube amp with good sound in the headphones ;)
- Sergey Zvonarev 25 May 2018 at 01:09 PM
Answers: 3

vote

Hello Sergey,

Regarding your question, there is an internal load for the output so it is safe to do so.

Kind Regards

Marshall Support

answered 15 May 2018 at 08:03 AM

JOANNA GREEN (643)
Hallo, and would it be possible to use the emulated line out connected to a headphone or to a PC, mixer or audio device, without disconnecting the external or internal speaker? thanks. - Roberto ACErob71 06 Sep 2018 at 12:01 PM

votes

You can leave the speaker plugged in.

answered 07 Sep 2018 at 10:24 AM

JOANNA GREEN (643)

votes

Hi, 

is there any difference if low watt mode is on or off when plugging in headphones or connecting for recording with/without speaker connected? I mean if it's matter if low watt mode is on or it's not required for unplug speaker for silent mode?

answered 19 Feb 2019 at 08:28 PM

Kamil Banul
Loading - please wait...