Line out to DI to a mixing desk

votes

Hi Marshall,

First of all I love the Code 100 amp, however, I purchased this to practice with but also to use in a duo for small pub and club gigs.

I have been using two amps for stereo mp3 backing tracks and 2 guitar amps plus a PA all DI'd into a small 8 track mixing desk using line out's from the amps.

The Code 100 unlike competitors amp modelling combo's doesn't have a line out, only headphones and USB (which also doesn't cater for ASIO as I use Cubase for our backing track recordings). Is this amp only a practice amp as the ads suggest it is powerfull enough to use in small gigs, but without a line out, the volume would have to be independantly changed manually rather than having everything in one place on the mixer as solo, duo and bands have done for many years.

Do you have a solution for this as do not want to have to send this back and go for an inferior competitors model as you feature tops in all the reviews. Seems like a big omission for giging musicians!!!

Or is there an upgrade planeed for those who need a line out for DI'ing to a desk to manage the total sound or for live recording, or is there something we could purchase that connects to the USB interface that could go to the mixing desk?

Kindest Regards

Michael Lawson

michaelclawson@btinternet.com

asked 22 May 2018 at 09:32 AM

Michael Lawson (2)
Hi Michael,

What you need is something like this

https://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_ybox_guitar_splitter.htm?sid=17ac3268c57fbc11769e9853bf9cc3a5

in the FX loop.
- Paula Thomas 26 May 2018 at 04:13 PM
Hi Paula, thanks may consider this but like Dale await Marshall's official response as many others on the Forum are asking why they missed a line out when all the competition includes it (the Fender Mustang 3 100w for example as my duo buddy has this now) as standard on all their amp modellers... - Michael Lawson 26 May 2018 at 04:43 PM
Answers: 3

votes

Hi Michael.

I'm pretty keen to hear Marshall's answer to the very last part of your post.

Hope you don't mind my asking but for the sake of my own interest (and some input from me maybe):

Are you saying that you'd like to be able to have a line out that is active as well as sound coming out of the CODE amps. i.e. at the same time or are you just wanting to plug the amps. into the mixer, cutting the sound coming from the amps., and using only the sound being sent to the mixer directly???

Sorry to ask but I'm not quite sure I understand what it is that you're wanting to do.

I run a similar setup (I think anyway) i.e. 2 x CODE amps. (for stereo), PA (stereo), mixer (obviously), Behringer wirelss mics. for vocals, and an iPad for backing tracks (into the mixer obviously and which I create myself with Mixcraft Pro Studio with tons of VST's, MIDI, etc. etc. etc.).  BUT (and here is, I think, where we will differ): I mic. the amps. up (normally I use 2 x CODE25's, facing backwards, at a relatively low volume, micd. up with Shure SM57's) (I have 2 x CODE50's and when I do use them they face forward and are "on" but still micd. up but only for a bit of reinforcement because they are plently loud on their own).  The reason they're micd. up is because I find the signal straight out of the amps. very dry and "buzzy" i.e. I like (and live for) the sound that comes out of the cabs. (and somehow I do manage to do a pretty stellar job of capturing it I have to say).  The same with the USB i.e. very dry and "buzzy" for my taste.  This being said (and I know some disagree with this): the sound that comes out of the headphone (line out???) is NOT the same as the sound that comes from the USB port i.e. I've got some pretty decent sound by using the headphone out (line out???) of the amps. using stereo (even although dual mono from the amps.) cables to the mixer (takes up four channels though) and panning hard left and hard right (although still nothing close to the amps. being micd. up I must add).  Dunno if my setup helps or gives food for thought (hope so though).

Looking foward to hearing from you (and Team Marshall of course).

Regards,

Dale.

P.S.  Oh and by the way (I mention this because many ask about this and don't read the forums so posting again): there is nice software available for editing the presets and one COULD control the (Preset) volume "on the fly" (live) if needs be but a PC is required (obviously).  It's found here:

https://marshallcode.tools/

Note that it is NOT supported by Marshall Amplification.

Of course you could also use the good 'ol Marshall Gateway app. (although, and even although I've never had issues, I'm not sure I'd trust it in a live situation).

edited 22 May 2018 at 06:11 PM

Dale Paterson (105)

answered 22 May 2018 at 05:47 PM

Dale Paterson (105)
Hi Dale, have only just got the Code 100, but planed to use it as with other amps just on it's own in practice but for live pub and club gigs would like to line out to a mixer then that into a stereo PA, I could mic the amp up but have preferred the line out to avoid feedback etc. as the smaller gigs are more difficult to avoid this. We use monitors from the mixing desk (8 Track with foldback), not tried the headphone as a line out but already noticed the signal is weak due to Marshall adhering to EU decibel restrictions so this may need boosting. Will take a look at the tools as agree not sure I want to use an iPhone on stage (may have signal issues etc). Not tried linking the USB to a PC yet as use Cubase 9.5 Pro which prefers ASIO input, but could try their ASIO for all driver... Await any response from the good folks at Marshall! - Michael Lawson 22 May 2018 at 06:33 PM
Dale, sorry didn't answer the first part, yes for gigs I want to hear the amp behind me as well as going through a small mixing desk then into a PA along with my duo's guitar and the 2 amps that have our backing tracks (Bass, drums and keys when needed) which I have been doing with my Marshall 50 Watt Combo as has a line out. - Michael Lawson 22 May 2018 at 07:06 PM

votes

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your message,

You could use the headphone output fed into an unbalanced line input on the mixing desk. This would mute the speaker in the amp, but could be used as a line output.

The second option would be that the effects loop send could be used to feed the line input of a mixing desk. This would keep the speaker in use unless something was plugged into the return (for instance a jack with tip and sleeve shorted).

If required, a send from the mixing desk could be plugged into the return of the effects loop to allow the CODE100 speaker level to be controlled using the send level control on the desk.

Hope this helps

Marshall Support

answered 29 May 2018 at 08:38 AM

votes

Dear Marshall Support,

Thank you for the 3 excellent suggestions which I will try out.

I am happy for this item to be closed.

answered 29 May 2018 at 09:15 AM

Michael Lawson (2)
Loading - please wait...