Noise Gate causing distortion as signal fades

votes

Have any of you fellow Code 50 owners noticed that the setting for Noise Reduction (Gate/Threshold) can have a big effect on how clean the signal sounds as you let it fade?

I noticed this signal distortion on several of my Presets. Lowering the Gate from, say, 3.0 to around 2.0 had a huge effect on cutting that signal distortion as the signal fades to silence.

Is there a secret to this parameter? This stuff on an amp is new to me (coming from Fender land).

asked 23 May 2018 at 11:08 PM

Robert Newsome (2)
I don't think there are any secrets to the Gate. I have read that higher settings on it tend to do what you are describing.
What I do is run it as low as possible on every preset. All the way off on cleans. On distortion I keep turning it down until the amp starts to hiss, then turn it back up just a notch or two, just enough to get rid of that ambient hiss/noise/feedback from the distortion.
- Dennis Bowen 25 May 2018 at 07:22 PM
Thanks much, Dennis! This is exactly the sort of answer I was hoping to get from Marshall USA tech support. - Robert Newsome 25 May 2018 at 08:49 PM
Answers: 0
Loading - please wait...