Using external effects with Marshall Code 4 100 watt head?

vote

I cannot understand how to use my external effects with the Code 4 100 watt head...the owner's manual is worthless...and I cannot find any YouTube videos explaining this...does ANYBODY understand how to use external rack effects with this head? Thanks.

asked 16 Jun 2018 at 02:17 PM

Craig Jones (1)
Answers: 1

vote

Hi Craig,

Code is designed to be a stand-alone unit. However, you can use external FX in the loop. You need to connect the ‘send’ of the Code to the input of the external FX and then the output of the external FX to the return on the Code. As the FX loop is post master volume the FX send level is controlled with the master. So, the louder the amp the more FX send signal. You may also need to adjust the in and out levels on your rack FX. 

If you are using the Code footswitch then you can only Control the amp with it and not your external FX. 

Marshall Support

answered 21 Jun 2018 at 02:38 PM

Hopefully their effects loop won't sound like it has a bad earth when connected, even when the effects pedal isn't on, like mine does.

Why on earth would you link an effects send to a master volume and not have a separate effects level. So home practice at a low level = low output to effects, cranked up at a rehearsal, loads of level going to a pedal. Hopefully not too much to cause distortion in the effects pedal.

- Ian Watts 03 Jul 2018 at 08:39 PM
Loading - please wait...