DSL40C pairing with active speaker

votes

Hi!

I'm not too familiar with impendances and I'm trying to add a monitor speaker to my amp. As mentioned in the title, I'm using Marshall DSL40C combo, and in order to send my signal to my drummer on gigs I need to connect it to an active speaker (Behringer B12D - 8ohms). Currently I have stock speaker in the amp (70/80, 16ohms) but I'm thinking of replacing it with something different.

My question is - what would be the optimal combination (ohm wise) that would work without any danger to the amp? Can I put in the amp 8ohm speaker (amp speaker) in the first 8ohm output and the Behringer monitor on the other, or do I have to use 16ohm speaker (and what output is better to put it in) with the active monitor (changing the monitor is not an option unfortunately)?

Hope I didn't complicate the question too much!

Thanks!

asked 28 Jun 2018 at 10:06 AM

Mislav Marusic
Answers: 1

votes

Hello Mislav,

The DSL40C having the five speaker sockets allows you to connect one or two 16ohms speakers, one or two 8 ohms speakers, or one 4 ohm speaker, this achieved by using the five sockets on the back panel. 

For example if you wish to change the internal speaker to a 8ohm you would plug it into one of the two speakers marked 1x8 or 2x16 ohms if you wish to connect a second 8ohm extension cabinet you would plug the internal speaker into one of the two sockets markers 1x4 or 2x8 ohms and plug the 8ohms extenstion cabinet in the other socket marked 1x4 or 2x8 ohms. 

Kind Regards

Marshall Support

answered 03 Jul 2018 at 10:15 AM

JOANNA GREEN (643)
Thanks for the info! Only problem is that the model I'm interested in (DSL40C) does not have 4ohms output... it has 1x 16ohms and 2x 8ohms and I'm worried if my internal speaker is 8ohms, that I have to use specific ext speaker, and I'm not sure if I can use powered (active) speaker as an ext cab (no matter what the ohms are on it - since it has its own power).
Best regards!
- Mislav Marusic 03 Jul 2018 at 10:30 AM
If it is a powered active speaker these are normally connected to the line out or DI out not to the speaker outs. The DSL40 was originally fitted with a 16ohm speaker this means you could connect a extension cab of 16ohms and still use the internal 16ohms speaker. - JOANNA GREEN 10 Jul 2018 at 02:21 PM
Loading - please wait...