Code 50 Mod

votes

I researched 1x12 open back vs. closed back vs. ported cabinet guitar cabs. My experiment with my Code 50 amp was to remove the back without unplugging anything so I could here the difference between closed back and completely open back. The amp really came alive with a lot of punch and presence while ridding the boominess that occurs. I removed the power cord socket and cut a square the same size as the speaker. This was an improvement but I liked the complete open back sound better. I then cut the back out more leaving just enough stock to support the existing power cord socket hole and protect the electronics inside the cabinet. I will continue with cosmetics such as painting inside black and/or add a grate for protection. To my ears the amp really came to life open back. I will keep it this way. It is an easy experiment to try without sacrificing anything, just remove the back cover screws and pull the back away. If you hate it you just refasten it and leave it original.

asked 30 Jun 2018 at 08:32 PM

Gator Milden (2)
Answers: 2

vote

I also modified my Code 50 by opening its back, however, I made some little adjustments and the results are incredible. Furthermore, I had already changed the speaker.. and what was good only got better!

Photo attached below:

edited 16 Mar 2021 at 11:28 PM

Alexssandro Costa (1)

answered 16 Mar 2021 at 11:24 PM

Alexssandro Costa (1)

votes

Hello.

I saw your post some time ago and have been meaning to reply to you just to say thanks for taking the time and going to the trouble of posting details of your mod.  Very decent of you.  Thank you.  I have 2 x CODE 50's (among other CODE amps.).  Cannot say I'm unhappy at all with them (for some or the other reason I kinda like the "boominess"!!!  LOL!!!) but am certainly interested to try them without the backs on (for the sake of interest if nothing else).  Nice job!!!

Regards,

Dale.

answered 10 Jul 2018 at 09:35 AM

Dale Paterson (105)
Dale,

Thank you for your interest and reply. One of the most exciting aspects of guitar is it's response to individuality from one player to the next. Experimentation is fun. This project reminds me of the old Pignose amplifiers in their small cabinets that are latched and hinged. Varying tonal qualities could be achieved between slight opening or wide opening of these little cabinets. Maybe I should finish this project with an accordion style back cover so I can hone the open back response! This Code 50 surely is a lot of fun and provides tonal possibilities limited only by imagination. Enjoy.
- Gator Milden 10 Jul 2018 at 07:16 PM
Loading - please wait...