Marshall Code 100 - FX and separate Fx pedals

votes

Hi,

I have a code 100H connected to a 4x12 cabinet.  I want to use my Boss ME-80, as I have stored a number of presets.  I have plugged my guitar into the ME-80 and the ME-80 into the input of the amp, however the volume of the amp is significantly decreased, I have turned the ME-80 volume up to max with little affect, I have also turned all the FX on The code 100H off.  The volume is very poor, worse with my Gibson SG, than with my Fender Strat. Is there a better way to set up my ME-80, e,g through the FX loop, and how would I do it.  Would this solve the problem?

Thanks

asked 12 Jul 2018 at 12:22 PM

Huw Evans
Answers: 2

vote

Hi Huw,

There could be a number of reasons why this setup is not sounding as good as you need it to be. Usually the first problem is putting a preamp into a preamp. If you do this you will degrade and compress the signal which is probably why you’re getting a volume loss. Try turning the preamps of the Code off and if this doesn’t work try turning the preamps on the Boss ME-80 off. The preamps on the boss unit are designed to go direct into a desk or a very clean amp. 

Another way you could set this up is to use all of the preamps from Code and have the ME-80 in the FX loop and use just the FX. 

Realistically you have two similar units trying to do the same job as each other. So this is why I would recommend using one unit for FX and one for amp simulation. 

Marshall Support

answered 13 Jul 2018 at 10:39 AM

votes

Hi everybody.

Very interesting Marshall's answer, as always.

I think you can check some more options, Huw:

1: Use the "natural" preamp mode of the CODE.

2: Use the 4-cables method.

3: Use an A/B switcher pedal to use alternatively one or the other preamp.

Greetings!

answered 17 Jul 2020 at 07:51 AM

Miguelanxo Muradolo
Loading - please wait...