Code 50 Defect - Distorted and muddy Even in clean channel (With Video)

votes

Here are the videos of the defect 

https://youtu.be/76qT838U1BM

https://youtu.be/EGViKazjSQI

This amp sounded like this since day one I always thought it was maybe just the effects but soon realised after using the clean channel turning off all the fx and amps and also having people look at it I realised that theres something seriously wrong with it. I tried contacting you guys for that 5 year warranty especially since its defective but have not gotten a response. Its been almost a year that I've been trying to figure whats wrong with it but even person I ask has no clue I've searched and searched and have found no such issue similar to mine. I would like to get an explaination of the issue and see if there is a solution or maybe a replacement if possible thank you. 

asked 18 Jul 2018 at 11:36 PM

Evan rivera
Answers: 2

vote

Hi Evan,

Thank you for you message, we are sorry you seem to be having issues, we have passed this to our tech team to look into, just to check have you tried another guitar or lead, or been back to the store for them to test this, your warranty is with the store and they will be able to advise on a repair or replacement.

If you would like to email servicedesk@marshallamps.com , and we can correspond directly.

Marshall Support

answered 19 Jul 2018 at 08:16 AM

Thank You for responding and yes I've tried multiple different guitars and lead also different outlets although it seems to not change the issue. I tried bringing the amp back to the guitar center I bought it from but they said that I should've bought a warranty, I did tell them it came defective but they said I need to get a replacement from Marshall because they only replace If I have a warranty. The warranty I was talking about was the one that came with the amp the 5 year one but the warranty with the store was the paid one that I did not purchase because it was about $70. Thank you - Evan rivera 19 Jul 2018 at 10:51 PM
Hi Evan,

The warranty is with the dealer within the first year of purchase, I will forward your details to Marshall USA who would be able to advise regarding the extended warranty.

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 20 Jul 2018 at 07:57 AM
Hi Evan,

Feedback from our Tech Team

The master volume is set very high. With relation to the volume settings on the amp make sure the volume of the preset is set at a good level first and then use the master volume accordingly. As for the electrical noise sometimes a number of things can cause this. For example, if an amplifier is plugged into the same extension as a tv screen or lamp that's switched on you can get a lot of unwanted noise.

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 20 Jul 2018 at 08:04 AM
Thank you for your feedback and In that recording the master volume was actually at half volume and there were no effects on or anything it was a clean channel. I have also tested the amp in even different locations with outlets that have nothing else connecting to them and the same issue still arises. Also one thing to note is that although that is how the amp sounds like when its played when plugged into headphones it sounds perfect and also completely different compared to straight out the amp speaker itself. Another thing is that there is also that muddy distorted sound even when playing music through the amp, in this video I adjust the volume to show the difference ( https://youtu.be/bBBtD0MaIzM ) in the video you could actually see that when I turn up the volume it actually sounds better and the muddy tone seems to dissipate a bit. Thank You for your help - Evan rivera 20 Jul 2018 at 08:05 PM

votes

Hey Evan.

Comment WITH VIDEO to follow!!!  LOL!!!

This ain't going to make you feel any better but here's what one of mine sounds like clean i.e. with everything off:

https://youtu.be/LcBoOsyUsPE

This recorded just with the camera's mic. and for this little excercise the Master Volume was only on 1 i.e. just above the point where it "kicks in" (ye olde Master Volume issue TEAM MARSHALL)!!!

Sounds real clear to me (actually they have a lovely clean tone even although it's something I never ever use).

With all that buzzing you're getting and the sound I'd say with confidence it's defective (I have five CODE amps. and never heard anything like that out of any one of them at ANY volume).  Only thing that's odd is the fact that with headphones it sounds fine.

Anyways.  I hope you get it sorted.  They're wonderful amps.   Judging by some of the posts around these parts there just seems to be some duds out there and maybe yours is just one of them unfortunately (because you say it's been like this since purchase).

Regards,

Dale.

edited 20 Jul 2018 at 08:41 PM

Dale Paterson (105)

answered 20 Jul 2018 at 08:36 PM

Dale Paterson (105)
Loading - please wait...