Exactly how does the Noise Gate operate

votes

Another quick question:

Exactly how does the Noise Gate operate???  Not quite sure how to ask this question but here goes:

Does the Gate simply suppress ANYTHING and EVERYTHING below a certain SIGNAL level (depending on the setting) or is it able to determine the frequencies of the noise and only attentuate those frequencies (again depending on the setting)???

In other words: if you set the Gate to eliminate noise when there is supposed to be silence then no problem i.e. this works fine but you can hear the noise when you start playing i.e. it lifts with your sound.  But I THINK I noticed this morning that if you set the gate higher then it seems to start seperating out the noise from the actual guitar sound (although it does alter the sound to a degree but nothing major or problematic).  And it doesn't seem to affect sustain i.e. if it were merely suppressing ANYTHING and EVERYTHING below a certain SIGNAL level (depending on the setting) then it stands to reason that the higher you set it the more it will chop your sustain as the note decays and it doesn't appear to be doing this.

Hope the question makes sense.

Regards,

Dale.

asked 25 Oct 2018 at 08:58 AM

Dale Paterson (105)
Answers: 2

votes

Hmmmnnn...

Seems like today is a day for me to make a fool of myself given the above post as well as the other one about the Natural (No FX) PRE-AMP setting!!!

After experimenting some more the Gate actually does chop off sustain and a LOT too depending on how high it is set.  And I doubt very much if it's actually "sensing" the noise frequencies i.e. it would seem that it's simply attenuating the signal level depending on how it's set.  So for anyone reading this: until I get a response from Messrs. Marshall Support & Co.: please ignore my original post above as it would seem that I'm talking utter nonsense (like I said: seems to be my day for making an arse of myself).

Regards,

Dale.

answered 25 Oct 2018 at 02:48 PM

Dale Paterson (105)
Dale, don't worry, be happy... :-) If you need an old man advice: open a bottle of good (South African, of course) wine, plug you guitar to your amp, and just play...
Hope it helps.
Do you know what is the biggest disadvantage of CODE series? last year I thought I had bought an amp. No, I bought 448 combinations of pre-amp, power-amp and cabinet and I still have no idea which combination is the best choice for me... :-) So what I do? I open a bottle of good (sometimes South African) wine and just play...
- Jacek Klimkiewicz 25 Oct 2018 at 06:48 PM
Hey. How're you doing??? And thanks for the message.

Nah. I stopped drinking and playing at the same time i.e. I sound too good when I've had a few!!! LOL!!! (To me anyway that is!!! LOL!!!).

Trust me: you bought an amp.!!! LOL!!! I swear by these CODE amps. to be honest. But I think I've been lucky i.e. never had an issue with any of my amps. And fortunately for me: I only need about two or three different tones (which I've been very specific about) and I've managed to create them no problem. Also and by sheer chance I somehow managed to end up with the perfect combination of guitars and wireless systems i.e. my guitars and wireless systems drive these amps. probably to a point where they were not designed to be driven but I can tell ya that I get sound out of them that some have actually doubted until they've seen them in action (happened more than once where I've been questioned as to whether or not I'm taking the mickey and am actually using a valve amp.). Anyways. It's just this noise thing that's come up because I'm trying to create another tone with the JCM800 PRE-AMP emulation but it's real noisy no matter what I do (odd thing is that I actually do get a JCM800 tone but not using the JCM800 PRE-AMP emulation which is kinda funny I suppose).

Oh well. Enjoy the wine!!! And thanks again for the message.

Regards,

Dale.
- Dale Paterson 25 Oct 2018 at 10:13 PM

votes

Hi Dale,

Hope this helps,  A noise gate will cut/reduce any noise below the selected threshold. As soon as any signal above this threshold is produced then the noise gate effectively opens to allow the full signal through. It will then close again once the signal drops below the selected threshold. The idea is to cut any noise when you’re not playing.

Marshall Support

answered 30 Oct 2018 at 03:00 PM

Loading - please wait...