Cables

votes

Today I bought a brand new JVM 205H Amp and a 1936V Cab. I am soooo lucky :-) It sounds fantastic and I am really looking forward to learning how to get the best out of it. However, I made the mistake of unboxing everything and not paying attention as to which cable came from which box and the cables were not labelled.

There are 3 cables

* The long soft cable marked RJS ELEC - AWG18 - 41/0.16 - 0.824mm ...  I assumed is the speaker cable. Is that correct ?

* A short thinner cable marked Marshall PVC 0.34 SQmm X 2cores Wonderful VN (LF)... I assumed is for the 4 way footswitch. Is that correct?

* A long thinner hard PVC unmarked cable ..... I assumed is to connect the guitar. Is that correct ?

Using the cables connected as above, when I switched the amp to 'ON' I had an unpleasant buzz/hum. I discovered that the volume of hum was completely dependent on the volume control knob on the guitar. Turn it to zero and the hum disappears, turn it to 10 and the hum is very unpleasant.

I tried swapping the un-marked cable for a guitar cable that I already own (braded yellow) and the hum ALMOST disappeared even with the guitar at full volume.

1) Did I correctly guess the correct cables for the Amp, Footswitch and guitar ?

2) If I did guess correctly then why would using the cable supplied for the guitar create such a loud hum and is there anything I can do to resolve this issue completley?

Thanks in advance

Richard

asked 25 Oct 2018 at 09:42 PM

Richard Ward
Excellent; thank you Marshall Support. - Richard Ward 26 Oct 2018 at 04:50 PM
Answers: 3

vote

Hello Richard,

In your JVM205 it would come with a speaker lead (1.5 meters) and a footswitch lead, and the 1936 would come with the same speaker lead, we do not supply guitar leads.  The footswitch lead is approx 5 meters long.  Your guitar lead needs to be screened, it sounds as though you were using a speaker lead not a guitar lead which is why the amplifier would have buzzed. 

Kind Regards

Marshall Support

answered 26 Oct 2018 at 08:30 AM

JOANNA GREEN (643)

votes

That answer fully explains the situation I expereinced. Also it means I have two speaker cables so I'll be able to use the stero capabilty too. I have now labelled the cables so I don't get confused in the future.

Thanks for a quick response.

answered 26 Oct 2018 at 04:53 PM

Richard Ward
- Lloyd Holbert 05 Sep 2019 at 07:43 AM

votes

Yes thats great work..A great step to avoid confusion in the future..So yeah carry on mypascoconnect

edited 06 Sep 2019 at 07:04 AM

Lloyd Holbert

answered 05 Sep 2019 at 07:44 AM

Lloyd Holbert
Loading - please wait...