Code50 cracking sound with overdrive

vote

I bought a CODE50 2 months ago, and while I really like the sound, it generates cracking/tearing/popping sounds when I apply (even small amounts of) overdrive when I touch a string with my pick/plectrum. I use the JCM800 emulation with low gain and low presence. I have also tried other AMPs such as the JVM. Plexi or Bluesbreaker, but that does not make any difference. It occurs with a BOSS Overdrive OS2 pedal and also with the ODR that is build in, also at low levels.

It happens both with my Fender Stratocaster and my Epiphone Les Paul. I also tried several diffenent plextrums, for example the Dunlop Jazz III, Dunlop Tortex, Fender medium, light and heavy and a few others, but that does not make any difference.

I opened the back of the combo so see if anything touches the speaker that could explain this sound but that was not the case. Normally I like a bit of pick attack sound, but this noise can be so loud that it overshadows the sound of the string, almost like a series of explosions. When I switch the overdrive off, this noise effect is gone.

What could be the reason for this ?

asked 11 Nov 2018 at 11:03 AM

Wim van Winsum (1)
Answers: 6

vote

I found that some pedals with a buffer increase the noise floor on the CODE 5O a lot and occasionally being hooked up to your PC via USB can make it worse. 
Clicking and popping can be caused by having your router or  leaving your phone too close like resting on the amp.

answered 25 Nov 2018 at 04:13 AM

Adrian Tysoe (5)

votes

It sounds like a ground short or something similar.  This often happens in the guitar but sounds like you have tried several.

Perhaps you are using the wrong cable.  Try another cable and make sure it is a shielded instrument cable with intact connections.

answered 11 Nov 2018 at 02:41 PM

Mark Hallman (25)

votes

Tried another cable, but no changes. Both this one and the previous ones are shielded instrument cables.  In case of a cable defect I would expect noise independent of overdrive. But this noise is very specific, it only occurs when the pick touches a string while an overdrive effect is added.

answered 11 Nov 2018 at 02:48 PM

Wim van Winsum (1)

votes

Hi Wim.

Thank you for your message, we have not come across this before, does the Code work without any pedals attached to it, if you plug straight into the unit with your guitar, it sounds like a cable issue or something to do with the set up.

Marshall Support

answered 12 Nov 2018 at 10:59 AM

votes

Just connected a shielded new cable to the CODE50, and tried again, with just the ODR distortion effect, and with no pedals connected. But it still gives me the same hard popping noise when I even mildly touch a string with the plectrum.....

answered 12 Nov 2018 at 11:57 AM

Wim van Winsum (1)
Hi Wim,

If you are still getting this issue, I would suggest having the amp looked at by an engineer, to do this you will need to contact your dealer and they will be able to arrange this for you.

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 12 Nov 2018 at 12:05 PM
Looked at by an engineer? WTF!
Mine was getting occasional weird noises too. I also use the JCM800 preset and overdrive pedal. Sounds like an engineer should find the problem on units before shipping to customers.
- Michael M 25 Nov 2018 at 06:54 PM
Hi Michael,

We always advise units to be looked as it will be easier for our team to investigate by seeing the product, our products are fully tested before leaving the factory, but products can occur faults any time, which we will look at for a fix.

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 28 Nov 2018 at 09:21 AM

votes

Sounded like it was the speaker to me. Probably blew it at some point.

answered 05 Dec 2020 at 01:07 PM

Gooch Guitar
Loading - please wait...