is the Marshall CODE50 a good amp?

votes

My amp broke down and I need to get a new one because I’m already going crazy lol. I saw the CODE50 for (the equivalent of) 345$. Should I get this amp? Is it good or should I look for another options? Do you have any other suggestions for an amp around this price? I play in my room. No shows or anything like that. I used to have Fender 15G and, volume wise, never passed the 4/10.

edited 17 Dec 2018 at 08:54 AM

asked 10 Dec 2018 at 05:26 AM

Michael jones
Answers: 2

vote

Short answer, no.  I would look for something else.  When it works it is a good amp.  Whoever they hired for programming has no idea what they are doing.  Had I left the amp at the first firmware release it would have been fine.  Ever since I did the first update, I have had issues with the bluetooth connecting.  Each time I turn on the amp I have pair the amp to my iOS device again.  It disconnects while playing after it has connected, and then you have to re-pair all over again.  It would be faster to turn on a tube amp and let that warm up then to deal with the bluetooth issues these things have.  Read the posts here.  It's littered with connection issues.

The master volume goes from whisper quiet at 1, to raging at 2.  There is obviosly something up with the potentiometer.  There is no real range.

One time I turn the amp on, a preset tone will sound once way.  The next time I turn the amp on it will sound another way.  They won't let you rollback firmware, so you are stuck with whatever programming errors are current, instead of choosing what version worked best for you.

The last firmware version was over a year ago.  I contacted support a number of times and get the "we'll look into it response".  People have complained a ton about the bluetooth problem, and all they say is "we can't reproduce the problem".  I'm not sure how with the number of people that have the issue.  Regardless, I would think you would have some sort of firmware update to try after a year.

I regret the purchase myself.  I wish I had bought something else.

answered 10 Dec 2018 at 02:40 PM

Sean Nixie (6)

votes

Sean Nixie, just play the guitar, not the phone. Code is a good amp if used as intended.

answered 11 Dec 2018 at 09:33 AM

Denis Moysienko (85)
If used as intended? So they never intended for the bluetooth to work? It's listed as a Key Feature on the product web page.

I play my guitars Denis, but with a different amp.
- Sean Nixie 11 Dec 2018 at 11:46 AM
I hope that "different amp" has a working BT :)) Maybe BT is a key feature, but for the advertising department. Honestly speaking, a BT in a guitar amplifier is needed just like the Internet in a refrigerator. You can make any adjustments right on the control panel of the amplifier. Gateway app has only one exclusive feature - upload presets to the cloud. - Denis Moysienko 17 Dec 2018 at 07:29 AM
Loading - please wait...