Is it safe to switch power levels on the origin 50 while the amp is on?

votes

Does changing from one wattage to another while the amp is on cause any problems?

It doesn't seem to cause any audio issues besides the obvious change in volume - but will it hurt the lifespan of the tubes or damage any components?

So what's the rule? Choose power level before turning on? Turn down the master volume before changing power levels? Or does it make zero difference?

asked 10 Dec 2018 at 07:45 AM

Tom LeBlanc (1)
Answers: 2

vote

Hello Tom,

Regarding your ORI50, you can select between power outputs with the amplifier on, but it is not recommened to keep switching up and down the power output rapidly when playing. 

Kind Regards

Marshall Support

answered 11 Dec 2018 at 09:04 AM

JOANNA GREEN (643)

votes

As per my knowledge before it takes pedals really well - so you can really get some heavy and shapable gains on it.I just love the sound of the preamp on it that I don't care much for the pedals. The EQ knobs don't do a whole lot. I really just keep those all at the 12 O'clock for now. The tilt and presence knob sort of take over on that job. If you back the tilt control off to more of the "channel 1" style marshall you can get some really warm cleans out of it. 

When you consider the damage to components, i think you should consider the PCB as well becasue wattage change will impact the PCB also. Although while desiging the PCB the manufacturers always consider  PCB Assembly with components according to tolerance of wattage but still have a check on this.

edited 03 Dec 2021 at 03:20 PM

Tami Duke

answered 08 Jan 2019 at 06:10 PM

Tami Duke
Loading - please wait...