Finding the perfect match!

vote

Hello, Marshall forum family.  I just purchased the CODE 100H (head only).  I have a Marshall cabinet with 4x12 MG series, and I hate the sound of this combination! Does anyone have advice for a replacement speaker?

Thank You All

Jon Doty

Lincoln, Nebraska

asked 24 Dec 2018 at 08:46 PM

jonathan doty (1)
Have you tried to disable cab sim in code? Maybe the sound will be better? - Denis Moysienko 25 Dec 2018 at 05:31 AM
Thanks, Denis, I have just that. I have a cabinet with the "MG-4x12" in it. Just wanting to know what others have done to create their own sounds? CODE cab, or another cab? If you're running off another cab? Then what speakers are you running? To be honest with everyone, I'm new to the Marshall line up. Mesa Boogie has been my previous experience. However, when I played the CODE amp it was the "50" combo, and it sounded incredibly great! I have been using Modeling software for a few years, "Amplitude 4 Mesa Boogie" package. That same package also comes with Amplitudes own version of Marshall amps. - jonathan doty 26 Dec 2018 at 12:03 AM
Answers: 3

votes

What do you mean "sound of this combination"? CODE series has 6 clean preamps (and a couple of overdriven or distorted), 4 power amps and 8 cabinets - I can't believe you are not able to find a setup that sounds OK with your hardware.

And forget about factory presets. Most of them are done to show the possibilities of this device. If you need the sound that fits your personal preferences - create your own.

answered 25 Dec 2018 at 05:58 PM

Jacek Klimkiewicz (234)
Hello, Jacek. I can almost hear you being out of breath telling me everything that the CODE amp has. I too feel your passion for it. I'm just curious of alternatives for speaker selection that comes as close to or emulates what the CODE offers. Being that they are specifically voiced for Marshalls CODE amp. I was thinking about Celestion Rocket 50 watts. Are you running a combo or your own set-up? If you're running your own set-up, what speakers are using? Oh, and Merry Christmas to all who commented back.
Thanks, Jon D.
- jonathan doty 26 Dec 2018 at 12:10 AM
Merry Christmas, Jon (I should have start with this, sorry...)
I use CODE 25C, a little bit modified. I added external speaker output just to be able to easily change speakers. Before I did it, I had to replace speakers in combo housing, which was very inconvenient. Original built-in Marshall speaker is to bright for me, I've replaced it with old 10 inch woofer 40-4000 Hz, and in my opinion it sounds better. Well, the matter of taste... :-)
And finally I disabled speaker emulation.
- Jacek Klimkiewicz 26 Dec 2018 at 08:37 AM

votes

Hi Jon

I bought the matching 4x12 and found it too 'harsh' without a lot of tweaking.. Curiously i tried tapping in to the G12-75 in my 8080 valstate combo and wow what a difference! I was advised to turn the cab simulator off but found by using this seting i got even better sounds/tones. For example i use the Clean American and Plexi settings using the 1912 cab setting.... works for me. I even plugged in to the Bass players Laney 1x15 cab and got some decent tones with the cab sim on! Now looking at getting either a real 1912 or similar 2x12 (or even a 1x12) for gigging.

For reference, i'm using an LTD EC-1000T with Seymour Duncan Humbuckers.

Hope this helps

Troy (near Lincoln UK).

answered 25 Feb 2019 at 01:29 PM

Troy Steadman

votes

I tried to connect a 4 Ohm HiFi loudspeaker to my Marshall Code 25 to the external loudspeaker connection that was easily built in later. Without loudspeaker simulation, the HIFI Speaker sounds like a piezo loudspeaker from a cheap children toy. It sounds much  better with the Code speaker simulators. Well done Marshall! However, it sounds still too much like baby squawking and there is not enough pressure on it. In any case, it's not much fun. It really sounds good with my 4x12 Vintage30/Greenback Mixture Cabinet. Just as I expect when I compare it with my 1987x or JTM45 with THD Hot Plate attached. Well, you need good speakers. If the Marshall Code cabinet is good enough, I can't answer. But I'm sure HIFI speaker were not used by Marshall.

answered 21 Nov 2021 at 11:49 AM

Alex Thies (16)
Loading - please wait...