Code 50 receives radio stations

votes

Recently bought a Code 50 and there's been radio stations playing softly in the background of the amp.

I've tried plugging it into different outlets, with my guitar plugged in, not plugged in but with the cord still in the input (with 2 separate cords so I know its not either of the cords causing this) but the radio station remains strong.  I'm guessing something with the shielding/grounding within the amp?

Here's a video showing it broadcasting...heck of a radio amplifier.

https://youtu.be/lu_jDAvcjN0

Is there a simple solution that I'm missing?

Thanks.

asked 30 Jan 2019 at 04:26 PM

Chris Harris
This can occur with any cord or wire, in your setup or power supply, not just the instrument cable. Are you playing along with the tunes? Kidding. Have you tried pulling the ground? - Jon Jacobi 30 Jan 2019 at 05:26 PM
I know nothing about amps or electrical components so I don't even know where to start. - Chris Harris 30 Jan 2019 at 05:27 PM
Use a two-prong adapter at the wall socket. I don't know where you are, but that's a common quick fix here in the states. Not ideal. It could indeed be internal. - Jon Jacobi 30 Jan 2019 at 11:53 PM
Answers: 3

vote

Sounds like classic ground issues. Try the two-prong. I wrote and article on it and other issues. https://www.techhive.com/article/3063590/home-audio/how-to-get-rid-of-hum-and-eliminate-other-noises-from-your-audio-and-video-systems.html

answered 01 Feb 2019 at 01:26 AM

Jon Jacobi (4)

votes

Hi Chris,

Thank you for you message, it may get radio interference if the signal is strong in your area, this could be possible.

Marshall Support

answered 31 Jan 2019 at 09:13 AM

votes

I took the amp to a local guitar shop in town, a couple miles from my place.  He plugs it in, and virtually no hum, no radio stations.

So in a nutshell, its all in my apartment's cruddy wiring and the fact that I must be close to radio towers here.

answered 31 Jan 2019 at 07:28 PM

Chris Harris
Loading - please wait...