Any Plans for Upgrade Code to Firmware to 2.0?

votes

Boss is in version 3 of it's Katana amps: 
https://www.boss.info/us/whats_new/press_releases/2018/BOSS-ANNOUNCES-VERSION-3-UPDATE-FOR-THE-KATANA-GUI/

Fender Mustang GT is in version 2:
https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/explore-the-new-amps-effects-and-features-in-the-updated-mustang-gt-2-0

Are there any plans to upgrade the Code to 2. 0 to include additional amps and effects?

asked 26 Mar 2019 at 08:50 PM

Pat Brown (25)
They promise to fix BT more than a year... - Denis Moysienko 27 Mar 2019 at 02:55 AM
I am beginning to think Marshall and Softube are either in contractual dispute or that Marshall's competitors are simply better positioned in terms of their relationship with their software departments\third party vendors. I'm really enjoying this Code 50 but I cannot recommend it to others because the post purchase software maintenance is not there. The Code IS a computer and computers need software\firmware updates. If Marshall were not prepared to commit to this then, in my view, they should not have entered the modelling space.

I am a beginner guitarist but Marshall need to consider where people like me would go when our tonal needs improve and we want to upgrade but stay digital. Can you imagine Apple and other such companies not releasing patches and upgrades?
Boss have managed to create a feature rich hardware that sounds very good and the Boss Studio Software is a full on software based pedal board, originally at a price point less that the equivalent Code; so for around the same price Boss are providing comprehensive software\firmware along with the requisite updates so we know it can be done.

I do feel sorry for Marshall Support; they are always having to reassure customers saying "X will be fixed in the next release" but they can never commit to a date; they obviously don't know and I don't believe they have been told. Could it be that no update is actually planned?
- Gary Dennis 27 Mar 2019 at 03:55 PM
Gary Dennis I believe the same thing. I did not know Softube was the outside software developer.
So I went up to: https://www.softube.com/contact-us#/
and posed the question to them. Are they still supporting this product?
In reading over posts as far back as 2016 I've noticed a pattern of things being asked to be fixed a promise that it will be addressed in a future release and then nothing. It's really a shame because they do have a great product here. I can find workarounds for the Blue Tooth issues I've found but to have 3 possible input devices into my Code 25 is great and it sounds good coming in also. The only issue really is having to use the master volume to control the incoming audio in which also raises the preset volume so you have to turn that volume down to make it sound right. Not optimal but workable. Would like to buy the Code 50 but I'm holding off until I get an answer.
- Pat Brown 27 Mar 2019 at 04:14 PM
Answers: 5

votes

Yeah, it's been 18 months since the last firmware update.  That doesn't wash in this modern world of software.  You don't expect to purchase a software-rich piece of hardware and then live with the same software features/bugs.  It really tarnishes the Marshall brand, as they're setting out their stall as the company that doesn't support their hardware after the initial year. 

I'm toying with the idea of buying a Helix and ditching the Code.  Line 6 really seem to have a modern approach when it comes to software and support.

answered 10 Apr 2019 at 02:16 PM

Anthony Burns (3)

vote

I would think they would want to continue to support it since they now promote the updated DSL line as having the emulated output and the Code Line DNA. If they let the support drop, they would be burning 2 product lines, not just Code. 

I’m  afraid they are treating it as an added expense and forgetting all of us who bought the Code as our first Marshall. With this type of support, it might be my last. 

answered 10 Apr 2019 at 01:44 AM

Bill Wirth (2)

vote

Anthony, the Helix is clearly in a different league to the Code; very comprehensive with Line 6 also offering cheaper but similar products to suit the priced bracket.  I my view the Code has a different place in the market.  The Line 6 Helix and Stomp are clearly aimed at the professional. I think its fair to say that the professional wouln't necessarily go for the code. I think the code is very well positioned in the marketplace but the fact that Marshall does not have an upgrade patch for people like you - coupled with less than ideal support - illustrates the point I made earlier in this threat. I'm a beginner so I'm happy. If you are considering a Helix you probably have quite a few years under your belt in guitar terms and Marshall have nothing to offer you in the modelling area. This is a greate shame. 

Modelling is a game changer that Marshall need to get to grips with quickly. Here are a few formerly invincible comanies that didn't respond to the game changers quickly enough:

Xerox (inventors of windows technology) - Decided not to move away from photocopiers leaving apple and Microsoft to capitalise. The rest is history.

Mamiya - Brilliant makers of professional grade cameras came out with digital offering far too late. 

Kodak - Inventors of digital cameras who took the same approach as Xerox with windows. 

Oracle - Number one relational database vendor in the world who has completely missed the Cloud and NoSQL database revolution and its revenues and share price are beginning to show it.

Bill, your assessment is a perfectly logical one but the above examples show that sometime logic doesn't come into it I think.

answered 10 Apr 2019 at 03:50 PM

Gary Dennis (1)
Skye Tyne I checked with Softube and they are no longer involved with the product. They told me directly via email they only initially developed it and Marshall is maintaining and upgrading it. I'm not counting on 2.0 version. They've dumped the bigger Code Amps and the 100 Head. Might be a phase out. - Pat Brown 26 May 2019 at 01:28 AM
maybe we should start a class action law suit to get the to buy this junk back. Because they will not support it. And it doesn't work as advrrtized. My first Marshall and last. - Kenneth Blizzard 27 May 2019 at 01:44 AM
Hello,
We are currently in the last stages of preparing to release an new firmware update, we appreciate your patience on this matter. Marshall are fully supportive of Code and any issues customers are facing will have our full support.
We are working to have the firmware released as soon as possible.

Kind Regards
Marshall Support
- JOANNA GREEN 28 May 2019 at 10:34 AM

votes

Well back on 28 May 2019 Marshall said an update was coming. So has anyone seen it?? Am I missing something??

The Code 50 was my first Marshall amp; by the looks of it, it will be my last.  I'm looking at dumping this lemon and getting  the amp that is very popular and supported very well, that starts with a "K".

If there is a "Class Action Law Suit" count me in. Marshall have really let us all down. At 72 years young I don't have the time to futz around with this amp/software/bluetooth any more.

answered 06 Nov 2019 at 09:10 PM

John Russell
Hi John,

There was a Firmware update back in July

03 Jul 2019 - v1.44
CODE100, CODE100H, CODE25, CODE50
MCU v1.44 includes improved Bluetooth functionality and reliability. CODE now allows up to three Bluetooth devices to be paired (the most recent three) and will automatically re-connect to these in most recently used order. Also, minor bug fixes

Please click on the support section of the website and you will see the Firmware tab to update your amp

Kind regards

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 07 Nov 2019 at 08:55 AM

votes

I want know if new firmware is programmed because the tone of your emulations need some improvement. To obtain some good sound we need too much work and deep editing on ambient and presence and noisegate. You had to do a better job in the emulation, bluetooth improvement is not important if compared with number of amps and pedals and their quality! What you will do for it? 

answered 27 Mar 2020 at 03:53 PM

Raimondo Dalmotto (9)
Loading - please wait...