Looking for recommendations for a practice amp

votes

Ive started playing guitar again later in life after first playing at the age of 10. My skill level is probably moderate but I enjoy playing again. I don’t gig or plan to be in a band. I’m either playing at home by myself or I have a buddy that I will go play with at his house. I have a couple nice Epiphone’s and 2 Yamaha DG60 amps. Theses amps are pretty good and have allot of different adjustments for different sounds. They both have an intermittent issue where something cuts out like the gain or reverb. I’ve though about taking them to get looked at but that’s another decision other then my request. 

Lately I’ve been kicking around getting a new amp. The more research I do the more I get confused. Get another solid state amp, a modeling amp or a tube amp. I’ve never had a Marshal and out of pure envy I’d like to get a Marshall but only if it’s the right amp for me. Money isn’t a deterrent. I’ve worked my way up to looking at a Marshall combo 2x12 100 watt. JVM210C. 

The reallity is I don’t think a 100W tube amp is a smart choice for me. Currently I play my 60W no more then 50% volume. And from what I’ve been told is you need to turn up a tube amp to saturate the tubes to get the most out of the sound. I’d probably only turn a 100Watt up past 50% on rare occasions like when I’m drunk and think I sound better then I really do. 

Is there a 1x12 or 2x12 Marshall tube amp that you can switch between 50W and 100W? That might satisfy my needs? What about the JVM215C? What about the code 50?

I should note I like to play classic rock/rock and metal, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Kiss, Jimi Hendrix, UFO, OZZY, Pantera..... 

I want something that sounds great played quite or LOUD! I don’t want something that needs a bunch of pedals for different sounds. But I don’t want an amp that has a bunch of effects but just has that fake/cheap sound. I know I’m asking allot. I just need some good advice from someone that has been around music allot and has knowledge about amps. Then I can narrow down some choices and then go to a guitar center or somewhere  and play a couple!

Thank you in advance,

signed “confused” Jeff

asked 28 Jun 2019 at 03:12 AM

Jeff Spinabella
Answers: 7

votes

I love my Code50, for practice and for gigs (6-8 per year). No tubes but overall satisfying sounds (and always loud enough!). 

answered 29 Jun 2019 at 07:27 PM

Mark Lüttger (32)

vote

If money isn't an issue I'd definitely go for a tube amp. Are you sure you need 100W for home playing?

Take a look at the DSL40.

answered 10 Jul 2019 at 02:48 PM

James sher (6)
I appreciate the feedback. No I don’t think I need a 100W for home use. I think maybe I wanted to have a 100W Marshall because my buddy has one. But to your point i think 100W is not needed for home use. Like I mention in my post I currently have a 60W Yamaha and I never turn it up to 100% or close to 100% for that matter. I think I wanted a big amp just because I could have one not because its what is best. I probably need a few people that have been playing for a while to talk me off the ledge. I think I need to go to the music store and play some tube amps like the DSL40 you suggested. I was considering a modeling amp like the Code50 but I read some comments that they really didn’t have good rock or metal sound and since that all I play doesn’t sound right for me.

Thanks again for the feedback.
- Jeff Spinabella 10 Jul 2019 at 08:13 PM

vote

If you had said you were on a budget then yes the CODE 50 is a great option. But with more money to spend then a tube amp is quite simply the best option in my opinion. I use a CODE 25 for home use and find it plenty loud even on the mega loud nights when a few drinks have been consumed! Best of luck and happy playing. 

edited 10 Jul 2019 at 09:54 PM

James sher (6)

answered 10 Jul 2019 at 09:39 PM

James sher (6)
Thanks again for the feedback. Since I already have two solid state amps I took your advice. I went to Guitar Center and played the DSL40. I was plenty impressed with the sound and bought it. This was where my head was originally at before entertaining the idea of the 100W Marshall’s. The fact that it has a low and high power switch helped make my decision. On quite nights after everyone has went to bed I’m still able to play quietly in low power mode while still enjoying the full sound of the tubes. Rock On! - Jeff Spinabella 10 Jul 2019 at 10:11 PM

votes

I appreciate the feedback. No I don’t think I need a 100W for home use. I think maybe I wanted to have a 100W Marshall because my buddy has one. But to your point i think 100W is not needed for home use. Like I mention in my post I currently have a 60W Yamaha and I never turn it up to 100% or close to 100% for that matter. I think I wanted a big amp just because I could have one not because its what is best. I probably need a few people that have been playing for a while to talk me off the ledge. I think I need to go to the music store and play some tube amps like the DSL40  my ip birthdaywishes tneb

I love my Code50, for practice and for gigs (6-8 per year). No tubes but overall satisfying sounds (and always loud enough!). 

edited 10 Sep 2019 at 11:36 AM

nino Play

answered 07 Sep 2019 at 04:27 PM

nino Play

votes

Peavey VIP 1. Trust me, that amp is godly.

I could have one not because its what is best. I probably need a few people that have been playing for a while to talk me off the ledge. I think I need to go to the music store and play some tube amps like the DSL40 9apps cartoon hd

edited 23 Oct 2019 at 08:35 AM

john smith

answered 21 Sep 2019 at 10:49 AM

john smith
I mention in my post I currently have a 60W Yamaha and I never turn it up to 100% or close to 100% for that matter. I think I wanted a big amp just because I could have one not because its what is best. I probably need a few people that have been playing for a while to talk me off the ledge. I think I need to go to the music store and play some tube amps like the DSL40 get-mxplayer.in
mx player download
- jaswant bro 10 Jun 2020 at 07:17 AM

votes

Just had a Origin 20c delivered, it's only 1x10" but has a power soak thing so you can play with valves working hard but lower overall volume (my outputs are 0.5w, 3w and 20w.

might be worth looking at either a Origin head either the 20 or the 50 with suitable cab or perhaps the 50w combo, which has a 12" Celestion speaker (not sure what the power options are though, off the top of my head).

certainly my combo is lovely, very pleased with it. Sound is kinda JTM/PLEXI ballpark and sounds great with pedals driving front end for some proper angry crackle.

ali

answered 29 Jan 2020 at 07:18 AM

Alistair James

votes

I probably need a few people that have been playing for a while to talk me off the ledge. ? ?

edited 18 Apr 2022 at 05:41 AM

Osman Ottoman

answered 18 Apr 2022 at 05:40 AM

Osman Ottoman
Loading - please wait...