Marshall Woburn Multi-room RCA & AUX Latency / delay

votes

Please fix this, Marshall!

The only way to listen music on Woburn is via cableless connection. You cant plug your TV or DVD player in it, as it has a huge delay. 

I've spoke with someone of Marshall team, and I was adviced that, this product is not ment to be used with TVs, Piano, Guitar or any other devices. So, how many speakers I need to own in my house? One for music, a soundbar for TV, amp for my guitar?

I would giveup multi-room feature if AUX and/or RCA had no latency!

If I did know there would be latency over AUX and RCA I would never buy this expencive speacker! Bose Soundlink had the same issue, but they DID FIX it with with an firmware update. Why Marshall didn't fix it yet?
So Please dear Marshall team! If you read this, please! Fix the latency over RCA or / and AUX so I can love my speaker again.

asked 05 Nov 2019 at 09:15 AM

Ivan Margitin (2)
Answers: 13

votes

Same problem here,

we have 6 speakers.

2 woburn multiroom, 4 stanmore multiroom.

We give up wifi-functionality over chromecast. The sound stuck when in multiroom. Marshall says the wifi qualitiy is to bad. So what? UniFi Network with AP AC LR 5GHz in sight distance (5 meters) are to bad for the speakers? I think the wlan-module in the speakers are crap things.

We give up and connect little Raspberry Pi (with HifiBerry DAC+ Pro) over RCA.
Nice, this works, but wait, after 6-7 hours i hear a little echo. After 24 hours the echo is 200 - 500 msecs, after 2 days the echo is 1 - 2 secs.

Marshall can not help, the support mailing is very very bad. Only standard questions, for every answer message i must wait 5 - 7 days. And then i bcome standard questions "what devices we use, the wlan is to bad, and so on". I wrote over 3 weeks without any help. Send back is a option, but marshall want repair the speakers.

WTF? The only one repair option is for marshall: "GENERATE AND REPAIR THE CRAP FIRMWARE"

WHY IS ON RCA AND AUX A SOUNDBUFFER??????? I wait for the answer from Marshall days over days over days, .. hoi, over weeks

edited 27 Feb 2020 at 10:02 AM

Gerd Kühner (2)

answered 27 Feb 2020 at 09:59 AM

Gerd Kühner (2)
Hi Gerd,

For Marshall speaker question, please contact support@marshallheadphones.com, they will be able to help you with your question.

Regards

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 27 Feb 2020 at 10:21 AM
Hi, i wrote many times on support@marshallheadphones.com. Did you read completly my topic? I think, you don´t read it.

My first mail on your support was on 01. Feb. 2020.
One answer from support per week, and now no help on present day 27. Feb. 2020.
The support ist unable to help. He says a reapair is necessary.
YES, 6 new speakers must repair, but not the hardware must repaired, the SOFTWARE MUST REPAIRED, YOUR SOFTWARE! - Firmware.

This is a software / firmware problem, and this is a problem from marshall. Repair the firmware, let us update the speakers and we see ist.

I don´t understand why there is a buffer on RCA. Clear up, i want understand it.

I think, marshall is unable to repair the firmware, we sent all speakers back to the dealer and we ordered other speakers. Thats the only one way to become a system, what can work without a headache.
- Gerd Kühner 27 Feb 2020 at 11:10 AM
Hi Gerd.

We are separate to Support@marshallheadphones.com, they are a zound product, we are Marshall Amplification (Guitar amps) if a repair is necessary and the products are under warranty you will need to contact your dealer and they can arrange this for you, or contact Marshall Headphones for any tech support

Regards

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 27 Feb 2020 at 11:28 AM
Hi,
the only one option is send back and money back. The functionality is not given, absolutly no way.
The sale-details are MULTIROOM", but the function is not multiroom. There are false details.

Sry for this bad words, but over 2 months of error searches and 3 weeks stress with the support we are very pissed
- Gerd Kühner 27 Feb 2020 at 11:55 AM
I am sorry, but this is anoing! This forum is not the right place for that issue? You are the same brand, do you? We buy speakers because of the brand, do we? Yes we do! There is no Marshall headphones forum or issue tracker, where one can complain for the firmware issue, and the support is just useless, as the can't even read and understand the problem. I am sorry, I don't want to offence anyone, but I can't get any help about that issue at all for a year.
The only way to enquire a review of the issue is the right way - to get a voice from the users. BOSE did fix their lag issue just because of few forum post. Why you cant do this? Why can't you write down some emails to the engeneers and explain them our drama? We cant reach them, but you can!
Thanks.
We (use to) love the brand Marshall, no matter of the departments. Act as one please.
- Ivan Margitin 27 Feb 2020 at 12:01 PM
Hi Both,

If you can send an email to servicedesk@marshall.com , we can contact zound direct and get someone from their team to contact you

Regards

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 27 Feb 2020 at 12:07 PM
So we all have to send an email to 'Zound' , before we are taken serious?

Ok .. Lets all spam them with all we got.
- Kees Lina 27 Feb 2020 at 12:10 PM
Hi Kees,

The above email is our support, but we can forward the details to Zound

Regards

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 27 Feb 2020 at 12:14 PM
OK, thanks then. It is very important how you'll forward & explain the request. I hope, this would help Marshall fans to love the brand even more.
I'll write my request today.
Have a great day.
- Ivan Margitin 27 Feb 2020 at 01:43 PM
I love my marshall TUFTON, and my marshall Kilburn2, but the Multi-Room Problems are bevore 2018, so i read this in amazon customer messages, and in many other forums.
Is Marshall (Headphones) on a high horse and not interest on satisfied customers? I think so.
Please forward this, the marshallheadphone-support mail is a 1-week-answer-wait-system
- Gerd Kühner 27 Feb 2020 at 01:53 PM

vote

Totally agree on this. Stanmore multi-room speaker can nót be used as a tv 'soundbar' because the delay is too damn much.

Can this even be fixed with a firmware update or is it hardware problem? I would love to use this speaker to watching movies... 

edited 03 Jan 2020 at 07:42 PM

Kees Lina (4)

answered 03 Jan 2020 at 07:41 PM

Kees Lina (4)

vote

I have 4 stanmore's and 2 woburn multiroom speakers for a year now. I FULLY AGREE with all said in this topic. IT IS A SHAME how bad these speakers are with wireless connections. Also the latency in RCA/jack connection is very ANNOYING. The speakers within the device are super IF THEY PLAY STABLE!!

1) It seems to be a sport to select the most distant wireless access point, why should the device connect to the access point within 3 meters if you can connect to one on the other side of the house. I ended up in blacklisting mac addresses so the multiroom was FORCED to connect with the closest antenna.

2) 5GHz seemed to be a better standard compaired with 2.4GHz, problems were a little less frequent

3) Placing the wifi antenna within a meter of the speaker still got bad signal strength, 35%... HOW CAN THIS BE??? All other devices connected get maximal signal and throughput 400mbps and more!! The quality of the build in antenne SUCKS BIGTIME

4) The unstable music stream (chromecast) towards one (ore more multiroom speakers in a group)  seems to be solved when you add 1 chromecast audio into the group. For unknown reason the chromecast audio dongle brings stablity (you don't have to connect it to a speaker, just add it to the device group in Google Home)

5) Now we have a stable wifi connection, forcing the device to conenct to a specific antenna, it plays as it should BUT... after a day or two the audio stream starts to make a crackling sound, getting worser everyday... A simple reboot of the multiroom speakers instantly solves that problem... WHY IS THIS A PROBLEM??? 

6) adding a smart plug prgrammed to cut power for 10 secs every day solves point 5

CONCLUSION: IF YOU WANT THE SUPERB SOUND OF MARSHALL MULTIROOM:

- buy a chromecast audio and add it to the chromecast speaker group, do not connect the minijack to the Marshall speaker! (edit 2022, seems this step isn't needed anymore after some Google Chromecast updates on my phone)

- buy a smart plug and program it to cute power for 10 secs every day to reboot the speaker

- if you have multiple wifi accesspoints broadcasting the same network: make blacklists of mac address (of the multiroom speaker) and configure a blockade in all access points except the one NEXT TO THE SPEAKER (edit 2022, now using wifi AP's in a cluster and tweaked signal power 5GHz so the speaker cannot connect to a AP further away)

WTF, THIS IS A TRAVESTY!!!

edited 04 Aug 2022 at 01:18 PM

John Kellen (2)

answered 12 Jan 2021 at 06:04 PM

John Kellen (2)

votes

This is also an issue if you use this with your DJ set up. Would love for this to be solved. 

answered 31 Jan 2020 at 08:17 PM

Brian Reyes

votes

edited 27 Feb 2020 at 11:10 AM

Gerd Kühner (2)

answered 27 Feb 2020 at 11:09 AM

Gerd Kühner (2)

votes

Ok, so i received a very unsatisfying reaction yesterday:

We have been in contact with Zound over the Woburn multiroom, they have confirm the product is designed as speaker not a home theater system, they is no firmware update for this as it is not a fault, the speaker is doing exactly as advertised.

Guess thats that..

answered 03 Mar 2020 at 12:31 PM

Kees Lina (4)
Hi All:

I am new to this forum, but wanted to add my thoughts that I have been experiencing the issue with Marshall Woburn Multiroom speakers as well. We have initially purchased the 'normal' Woburn II Bluetooth speaker, but it was draining the Iphone battery too quickly because the music keeps playing all day. We thought that by purchasing the multiroom speakers with wifi connection may resolve this problem because the music will use the wifi connection of the speaker and not the phone so much. However, this is the problem:

The music just stops playing after two songs. Then we have to press play on the phone again. Note that we are streaming the music with Iphone AirPlay and using the apps such as Apple Music, Amazon Prime Music, TuneIn Radio and SeriousXM Radio. Wrote to Marshall and they told us that there is a problem with AirPlay and that we should be using Spotify Connect instead.

Then we downloaded Spotify but figured that to use Spotify Connect you have to pay for the Spotify Premium subscription. OK, $10 paid, but the problem did not go away! The music stop playing every couple of songs, and one of the speakers just loses volume or disconnects, but the other keeps playing. There is also a problem when pairing the speaker with my MacBook Pro. The speakers sometimes just lose connection and we have to unplug them from the power outlet and plug them back in.

Spoke with Marshall over a week on their chat and email, performed all troubleshooting steps they had for us, and the problem is still here.

Then Marshall said to send the speakers to service in their repair center in Texas which we did. Guess what - the repair center confirmed 'no fault' and that the speakers are working properly. They told us that the problem is in wifi network in our house which causes interference with the speakers. This is not true. All speakers are connected to the same 5GHz network as well as the iphone which is playing the music. There are no other devices on our network list nor other houses / apartments near by which could interfere with our network.

Should we ask for our money back and buy a new pair of speakers, or just buy something from another brand, like Sonos?

Thank you!
- Tom K 11 Jun 2020 at 10:19 PM

votes

Hopefully this long existing issue will be taken seriously by Marshall and/or Zounds. They should be aware now after so many complaints and service requests (by me amongst others). And once a solution is found an update will be released asap. If so: please let me know!!

answered 28 Jul 2020 at 09:28 AM

Eelco H

votes

HA, NOTHING CHANGED!!!

answered 28 Nov 2021 at 04:30 AM

John Kellen (2)

votes

Marshall! Shame on you!!! How could  your customer service be so bad?
I can't believe no one care about that issue?!

The AUX RCA lattency still persists.
 2  years after the initial complain, and there is no fix...not even satisfying answer.  How many people need to address the issue to gat that seriously?

answered 04 Aug 2022 at 12:23 PM

Ivan Margitin (2)
Hi Ivan,

Thank you for your comments, we will pass these comments to the manufacturer.

Regards

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 04 Aug 2022 at 01:29 PM

votes

Marshall doesn't even bother to update the chromecast firmware on the multiroom speakers, but I enjoy multiroom in a stable way every day with the tutorial I wrote (read it some posts above this one). I do have to admit I have multiple wifi access point in a cluster and that the multiroom speaker needs to be in the same room as the speaker. More over, you have to tweak the wifi signal power so that a speaker cannot connect to another access point further away... And use a 5GHz wifi network, prefferably with a dedicated virtual ssid. Don't forget to add a smart power plug to interrupt the power for 10 seconds every 24h to avoid the crackling sound issue ;-)

answered 04 Aug 2022 at 01:12 PM

John Kellen (2)

votes

Marshall, when you fix our multi-room system!!?? Shame on you...

we're still waiting!!!

answered 08 Dec 2022 at 03:59 PM

Ivan Pozniak

votes

I am giving up! Such an expensive speaker, for what? The bloody chromecast not working! Stupid lag in all inputs!!! I can't believe no one cares! Abd no one fixing this.
The ad is good though.

But only this!!!

Shame on you Marshall, as you do not care about all those problems!

It wares your logo, please don't say it's a different product. That's stupid. 

answered 08 Dec 2022 at 06:48 PM

Ivan Margitin (2)

votes

Hi Ivan,

Please contact support@marshallheadphones.com for any issues you are having with the Bluetooth Speakers, they are the manufacturer of this product, you can also contact them using the link below

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/gb/en/contact.html

Kind regards
Marshall

answered 09 Dec 2022 at 08:53 AM

Loading - please wait...