Marshall DSL1 Emulated Out Very Dark

votes

Hi there - I picked up a DSL1 in Leeds recently on tour and the direct out / speaker emulation is very dark - I checked frequencies in Logic X, theres basically nothing above 2.4k. When I run the DSL1 send into the return of my JMP-1 (Rack Unit) to use the emulation it sounds great - and I get spikes a little over 5k. Is it a defective unit or is that simply the sound of the simulation? I have used different Marshall amps direct over the years - (Valvestate VS100R, JMP-1, TSL100) and have had great results with all of them  until the DSL1. Cheers for your help,

Dylan  

asked 30 Mar 2020 at 11:26 AM

Dylan Smith
Answers: 2

votes

Hello Dylan,

From your description the amplifier is sounding as it should, the DI output is derived from the speaker sockets via an op amp and a tone compensation circuit.

The Send socket is driven directly from the preamp before the signal is sent to the phase splitter and that’s why they sound so different.

Kind Regards

Marshall Support

answered 01 Apr 2020 at 09:37 AM

votes

Hi, thanks for your answer.

Just to clarify - the built in emulated signal does include the power amp section?

I was thinking of trying a Palmer PDI03 to record the sound of both the pre and power stages from the speaker output for more realistic direct recordings.

Cheers!

answered 27 Apr 2020 at 10:03 AM

Dylan Smith
Loading - please wait...