TSL blowing Fuse after 5min

votes

I just aquired a TSL122. I played it for 5min and the main 4a fuse blew from the 120v Mains. I'm in Canada.

The previous owner told me he sent it to Marshal for a warantee replacement to do with the VPR switch.

I am a tech and looked in the chassis. It has a brand new main PCB issue 20. Everythign looks good from my point of view. I didn't dig into it at all.

Is there still a boas drift problem with this amp? I am a qualified Tech and am looking for Marshalls perspective on this problem.

asked 02 Oct 2016 at 12:56 PM

barry beadman
Answers: 3

votes

Hello Barry,

If the amplifier blows the main fuses as soon as it is switched on, it is going to be either a faulty mains transformer or something with the power supply. 

answered 03 Oct 2016 at 02:52 PM

JOANNA GREEN (643)

votes

please re-read....after playing for 5 min at full volume....Tubes on one side got super hot and THEN it blew the main fuse.

Reading up on the internet, this seems to be a common problem with this amp. It was apparently recalled and had the main board replaced. But also , obviously it did NOT fix the problem. I send an email to Marshall and got redirected to a canadian third party. I'm pretty confident they they will not help me so i'm appealing to Marshall directly to help me with this case.  It has so far cost me a $100 set of output tubes. 

I have been wanting a Marshall amp all my life and finally got one only to have my elation dashed because of a design flaw.

very dissapointed.

answered 05 Oct 2016 at 02:05 PM

barry beadman
Hello Barry,
As we said if the amplifier blow the main fuse its not likely to be a power valve the problem may lie in either the mains transformer or the power supply. There has not been a re call on the TSL range the problem with the main pcb caused the HT fuse to blow. We recommend that you have the engineer looked at by an engineer to determine where the fault lies.
- JOANNA GREEN 10 Oct 2016 at 12:34 PM

votes

I just got my TSL122 back from the shop after the third attempt.  Mine would play for 40 min then go out.      I was told there was a bias adjustment made.  I've been playing for a week now only at low volumes.

answered 12 Jul 2019 at 01:41 PM

John Peterson
Loading - please wait...