Code amps for gigs?

votes

Does anyone use Code amps for gigging? I have a Code 50 that wouldn't work for my main band but I also play in a punk band that plays a lot of smaller venues/DIY's/house gigs etc.., the problem I have when I've tried to use it for these smaller gigs is that when I turn it up loud it gets staticky. Is this just part of the deal with solid state amps? (My normal stage rig is a 100 watt JCM900). Should I have the preset volume down lower and the master volume cranked? Maybe vice-versa? Both loud? Is it the presets I'm using? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

asked 04 Oct 2020 at 05:14 PM

Matt Anzelone
Answers: 1

vote

Sure do I use my Code50 for gigs, either smaller and even bigger ones. For me it's no problem with the volume as I usually play over a PA (mic the amp with a Sennheiser). But also playing over the backline works fine for me. Preset-volume is around 4-5, master-volume around 3-4 ... same setting in the rehearsalroom (I own 2 Code50s, same settings, one at home and for gigs, the other one in rehearsal). Naturally I've experimenting a lot with my "Home-amp" to get the presets I want, but it was worth the time having the presets ready via the app when rehearsing. 

answered 04 Oct 2020 at 06:08 PM

Mark Lüttger (32)
Thanks! What preset do you use? (These gigs I’m referring to are not the type where my amp will be mic’ed so I need to hold my own, volume-wise; and I feel like once I’m loud enough I’m getting a lot of crackle. Like I said, it’s a punk band so I usually use dirty sounding presets, do you think I might benefit from using a clean channel type preset and a couple pedals?) - Matt Anzelone 04 Oct 2020 at 09:44 PM
I mainly use "selfmade" presets, sometimes based on existing presets from other guys here, but mostly just created with a JCM800-preset, modified with chorus, delay, wah or other effects. I uploaded some of my presets on Aug 11th 2019, I think you can find them here in the user-presets-section (search for date and my icon). They are not my latest versions, but the difference from then to now ist not so big. My main-sounds are crunchy or distorted, only one or two are clean. I have no problems with crackling or other noises, and as I said before my mastervolume is around 3 or 4 (means 9 o'clock), and volume in the presets 4 to 5 - gain goes up to 8 or 9, depending on the preset. Hope this helps. - Mark Lüttger 05 Oct 2020 at 04:01 PM
Loading - please wait...