Speaker defeat arrangement for Code 25

votes

I really don't like the speaker on the Code 25 combo and my plan is to build an extension cab with a 1 x 12" (potentially a Celestion G12M Greenback rated at 25 watts and 8 ohms). I am aware of the power / volume drop this will cause and I'm happy with it. The easy way to achieve this is to disconnect the wires from the speaker and wire them to an extension jack for use with the extension cab. But I wanted to know has anyone done this in such a way to keep the original speaker active when the extension isn't in use, but defeated when the extension cab jack is plugged in? That way the Code works as a combo still for home use, but I could keep the extension cab permanently at the rehearsal space. Thanks for any thoughts.

asked 16 Oct 2020 at 04:47 PM

Jeff Nicholls
Answers: 2

votes

Hi Jeff,  

First of all I'm a novice at this stuff.  I think the greenback would work fine, just dont turn volume up to high to avoid clipping and damaging the speaker.  

I have rewired my code 50 to do just what you are asking.  I got a switching jack that disconnects the combo speaker and ports the signal to the exterior cabinet.  My cab is not the best but it sounds way better than my stock  speaker.  The wiring is pretty simple.  The jack can be purchased at PartsExpress.com.  Look for the Neutrik Rean NYS2122 1/4" Mono Jack Switched.  It works pretty good.  Good luck with this.  I'd like to know how the greenback works for you.  

Art

answered 18 Oct 2020 at 08:49 PM

Art McEntire

votes

Thanks Art - this is exactly the kind of thing I was after. Unless I get really impatient and buy a cab, this will be a long-term project for me as it will involve building a woodworking shop, which won't even start until spring. I plan for the cab to be my first project. So don't hold your breath for a Greenback review as it will likely come next summer! Thanks again for the info.

answered 19 Oct 2020 at 08:01 AM

Jeff Nicholls
Loading - please wait...