Hiss on bass notes when playing clean

votes

I noticed my Marshall Code  25 makes a hissing noise when I play through any of the clean amp models. This hissing noise is clearly audible when I play a note on the low E string. It reminds me of an old cassette tape. This is especially apparent with the cab emulation switched off. On the higher strings there is no problem. Is this normal? The hiss doesn't go away with the noise gate turned on.  I have this problem with both firmware versions 1.44 and 1.45. 

asked 22 Feb 2021 at 03:09 PM

Stefan Kolev (1)
Answers: 2

votes

Hi Stefan,

Just to check, have you tried another guitar or cable, what type of pick ups do you have.

Regards

Marshall Support

answered 22 Feb 2021 at 04:10 PM

Ofcourse I have tried other guitars and cables. It has nothing to do with that. I tried with several Seymour Duncan pickups: Jazz, Custom, JB, '59, Cool Rails and also Fender single coils. The problem is in the amp. - Stefan Kolev 22 Feb 2021 at 04:19 PM
Hi Stefan,

Thank you for confirming this, if you are still getting the issue, I would suggest contacting the store purchased from if under a year old the warranty will be with the store and they will be able to arrange to have it looked at by an engineer.

Regards

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 22 Feb 2021 at 04:31 PM
The amp is a few weeks old. I heard something similar on a youtube video as well. - Stefan Kolev 22 Feb 2021 at 04:38 PM
I'm talking specifically about the issue that can be heard in this clip at 0:24: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFX7xrJmfYY

He plays a note, there is a hiss and then it disappears. Looks like this is a common issue on the code amps.
- Stefan Kolev 22 Feb 2021 at 04:49 PM

votes

It's hard to tell exactly the hiss you refer to. All amps have some levels of background hiss as long as its not too loud then you probably have to live with it. This will probably be more noticible if you put the Gate to zero and the hiss disappears as you increase the gate.

However I have noticed a level of "fuzz" on all sounds including clean tones. This is just digital artefacts that you get with most cheap modellers. I have noticed on the Code that the Power amp models seem to generate more of this artefacts. try switching off the power amp and see if that removed the hiss.

I have actually noticed that on the Codes clean sounds, the Power amp models dont really affect the sounds that much. On many of the clean tones I have actually switched the gate to zero and switched off the power amp modelling and adjusted the EQ to compensate and make it sound the same as the power amp model, and this gives a much more "clean" clean sound with a more natural decay.

Its possible some other part of the digital modelling may add some hiss too, so you could try narrowing it down by switching things off in turn and see if you can get rid of the hiss, and identify it that way.

Bear in mind though the Code is a cheap amp full of digital technology. By comparison I have a Vox AC30 C2X that cost well over £1000 and that hisses so much you can tell its switched on in the next room.

Or maybe there is something wrong with your amp?

edited 11 Mar 2021 at 10:40 PM

Joliet Jake (126)

answered 11 Mar 2021 at 10:39 PM

Joliet Jake (126)
Loading - please wait...