Any news on the Master Volume problem with Marshall Code Amps?

votes

Hello Marshall Support Team,

I consider buying a Marshall Code 25 or 50, but I'm really concerned about the master volume problem with these amps, which has been discussed in length in this forum (see ? ? ? or ? ) [sorry,  seems the URL-links to the topics are deleted, the topics were "code-25---master-volume-issuses", "code-50-master-volume", "code-master-volume-issue" and "master-volume-marshall-code-50", all about the master volume knob, which goes from very low immediately to very loud].
In one of these threads you seem to acknowledge the problem and state, that your R&D team will look into this.

So here are my questions:
Is this problem solved with newer versions of these amps?
Does the problem show up regularly with all amps or does it affect only some devices?
Is there any chance to replace the Master Volume pot by myself  if the problem shows up after some time?

Thx in advance for you reply.
With regards - snoopy

edited 07 Mar 2021 at 09:15 PM

Snoopy GrandX (2)

asked 07 Mar 2021 at 07:28 PM

Snoopy GrandX (2)
Hello Snoopy

I don't think its a problem with the amp in the sense you think.
I've had my Code 25 for about a week now, and out of the box this thing is crazy loud, because of this you end up using microscopic volume adjustments on the first few degrees of the volume pot. I suspect the sheer volume may be a marketing decision to attract people who see volume associated with Marshall. However in the real world (bedroom or living room environment) its just not practical.
The simplest solution I have found is turn the master volume to about 25%-30% (9-10 o'clock) and adjust the patch volume of each patch to a volume level you are comfortable with, and save the patch. Problem solved.
There are some people who say that this affects the tone, but I cant hear it trying it both ways it sounds the same to me, only quieter. Plus Transistor amps and digital electronics just don't work that way.
I'm an electronics engineer, if I wanted an electronic solution, rather than messing about with Pot's (which are probably soldered direct to the PCB) I would probably add a switchable attenuator on the speaker output. This would be a cheap and easier option (2 high wattage resistors and a switch if you wanted it switchable), plus this would be reversible, but I wouldn't recommend buying a new amp and opening the back up to change things as obviously there is always a potential of injury and you will immediately invalidate your warranty.

However, after changing the volume of each patch to a sensible level I don't think you will find you have to do anything to the amp. I've no intention of modifying mine.
- Joliet Jake 07 Mar 2021 at 09:11 PM
Hi Joliet,
thanks for your answer. I spent a whole afternoon in this forum, reading about all these workarounds: adjusting the volume of each patch, replace the speaker, installing a power soak and so on. I just wandered if Marshall did something in the mean time to solve this problem finally. In a lot of customer reviews this problem is a great deal, so I think they really should fix this problem instead of proposing just workarounds.
In the thread "Master volume marshall code 50" (can't post the URL, seems that URLs are replaced with "?" in this forum) one user examined the Pot and it really seems, that this is the source of the problem, so one could think Marshall now uses better or different Pots and let the problem disappear this way.
Another manufacturer has a switch where you can select between 0.5, 25 and 50 W output, so you can easily select between "bedroom" and "stage" level.
But anyway, let's see what Marshall says.
I will also contact my reseller tomorrow and hear, if they can tell me something about their experiences with this amp.
I really would like buying this amp, as the specs and functions are really cool and most user vote it 4-5 stars, but this loudness problem would be a show stopper for me.
So thanks again, Joliet, and sorry for bringing up again this very old topic.
Cheers Snoopy
- Snoopy GrandX 07 Mar 2021 at 10:17 PM
It is 100% a problem caused by the crappy pots Marshall used for the Master Volume. The MV cracks and pops and can cause the volume to jump at ya sometimes. For whatever reason the pots are very, (very x 10) sensitive to dust. Before I turn my amp on I use some can air and spray the master volume while turning it back and forth. It patches the problem but has to be repeated prior to playing each time. The problem for me isnt the volume knobby, it's the way Marshall has dealt with the problem....do nothing and in couple cases tell someone they weren't using the knob CORRECTLY. My Code 50 became usable for recording only when the speaker was changed. Marshall could have spent $50 more bucks and made a good amp. Disappointing man. It took me 50 years before I could finally buy a Marshall. What a let down. - Chris Warren 27 Oct 2023 at 02:12 AM
Answers: 3

votes

Hello Snoopy

No problem bringing this up, its all still new to me anyway.

As my amplifier was manufactured 4 months ago, I think its safe to say that nothing has changed with the hardware of the amps. In reality I dont think anything will change now, these amps are what they are. I think the most likely ideal option would be a firmware update with a low power option that internally scaled the patch volumes to different levels.

Truth is I dont thing Marshall really regard "Too Loud" as a problem when you can effectively just "turn it down". Any options for Katana style power switches etc will have to wait to the Code V2 (if there is going to be such a thing).

I dont think there is anything wrong with the exisitng pot other than the sheer volume of the amp means that the use of the pot is so one ended and it is therfore over used over a short range of its travel, and so more likely to wear with use over such a short range.

I still think adjusting the patch level is a simple solution to get the amp to work the way I want rather than it being a workaround by Marshall. Bear in mind you also have 100 patches available, so you can have the 1-50 for bedroom levels and copy them to 50-100 with higher patch levels for live use. If you want to use the app you can actually have instant access to 200 patches so you could have 100 on the amp at gig level and the same 100 on your phone at bedroom level. 

Also bear in mind some of these posts are pretty old now. for instance In this forum there are dozens of complaints about bluetooth, I have had no problems and I'm actually pretty impressed with the bluetooth conectivity and streaming, so some issues shown here are clearly fixed now in firmware.

The big thing to remember is that the pricepoint of these amps has to be taken into consideration when looking at some of the criticism voiced against them. I have had a Blackstar 100, Katana 50 and a Mustang GT40 too, beleive me none of them are perfect. My personal choice is I prefer the features and sounds of the Marshall, but thats just my choice.

Anyway, I wish you all the best and hope you find the amp that you enjoy playing and that inspires you. What more can you want from an amp?

edited 08 Mar 2021 at 12:20 AM

Joliet Jake (126)

answered 08 Mar 2021 at 12:10 AM

Joliet Jake (126)
Hello, Joliet.
You wrote: "The simplest solution I have found is turn the master volume to about 25%-30% (9-10 o'clock) and adjust the patch volume of each patch to a volume level you are comfortable with, and save the patch. Problem solved."
No, problem is not solved.
Generally I don't use neither crunch, nor OD channels - all I need is crystal clear sound. In this case, when you set gain at max acceptable lever of clean sound and channel volume to 10, the output level on USB (which I use for recording) is about -24 to -18 dB. Decreasing channel volume influences also USB output level - for me absolutely not acceptable, so the only way to make this thing play less loud is master volume pot. As this is digital device, it would be very nice to add another position in menu: USB output level. It should be absolutely independent of the sound level.
- Jacek Klimkiewicz 08 Mar 2021 at 02:55 PM
Hello Jacek
Perhaps I'm more accepting of the limitations of the amp. Is it not the case that when you are recording you can turn the master volume to zero to mute the speaker and then turn up the channel volume as loud as you want? If I was recording I would expect to be messing around with volume levels anyway whatever I was recording, so I wouldn't be overly worried about this. Yet it would be nice if you could adjust it somehow, but of course you cant.
I think what I'm saying is that you have to look at the device for what it is, I have the Code 25 and its only a practice amp, its nothing more than a musical toy, and it is priced that way. It's fun but it is not a professional device. It has many features but a lot of them are comprimises. It's clear that Marshall could have invested more time and effort on this product and it would have been amazing, but my initial response to Snoopy was that in his words I wouldn't say this was a "show stopper".
- Joliet Jake 08 Mar 2021 at 03:25 PM
Hi Joliet,
thanks a lot for your thoughts and insights. Maybe you are right and I should buy the amp and live with the volume problem, using the "adjust volume of patch level" approach. It's really very attractive to have all marshall sounds on hand and I also like the option of having an app to control the amp. And having enough patches (compared to 4 banks only in the Boss Katana 50, if I'm right).
The fact, that your amp is quite new and you have the same problem shows clearly that there was no change to the design from side of Marshall (this was my hope, as most issues here are rather old). But as you already stated: nothing changed here.
I think I will sleep another night (or two) over this and then decide...
Thanks Jacek, for your comment, I've read these concerns in older threads and I think you are right, this is a problem. For the moment this is not my biggest problem (just beginning to make some music again after some years of pause). Perhaps my neighbours will be the "show stoppers" for me, when the amp suddenly gets too loud...
Cheers Snoopy
- Snoopy GrandX 08 Mar 2021 at 05:06 PM

votes

The Master volume issue is a JOKE. How can it go from silent to almost 100, with an 1/8th of a turn??? I doubt SW could fix it, seems like a harware(the knob) issue. Its seriously pathetic.

answered 11 Mar 2021 at 12:10 PM

richard torres
Yes, it could have been designed to give a more gradual response curve to the volume. For the moment I can live with it. If it starts to be a problem I'll probably add some sort of attenuator to the speaker. Personally I would have preferred the amp to be 10W it would still have functioned perfectly well as a practice amp without blowing out the windows.
At the end of the day the Code 25 is cheap. It is priced similar to the Blackstar ID-Core 20 and the Mustang LT25 (I have owned both), but I think it sounds better than those and has lot better features than they do.
- Joliet Jake 11 Mar 2021 at 01:50 PM

votes

This is very bad for Marshall. I will sell mine very cheap and buy another one from other brand....It's a shame...i'm marshall's customer since valvestate models(90's), but know i think that Marshal it's not the same, So, if Marshall change...we have to change too....

answered 06 May 2021 at 04:57 PM

Pedro Vasconcelos
Loading - please wait...