Code 25 Transformer

votes

There seems to be some Marshall Code 25's with a power transformer in the bottom of the cab and some without. What is the story, What is the difference and which is the newer model?

asked 11 Mar 2021 at 01:34 AM

Joliet Jake (126)
They probably moved the transformer to an external one for the power cord. You have pic of the new one? - richard torres 11 Mar 2021 at 11:59 AM
Answers: 1

votes

Actually after asking the question I thought "what a stupid question", I mean who cares really. It's just that I'm an engineer and I'm curious, and also there is no way to delete the question once you have asked it.

I ordered my amp from Amazon, and it was literally shipped in its box with no additional protection (and there is none inside the box either).

As soon as I took it out the box I noticed it rattled. The back is only held on with a few screws so I opened it to check what sort of damage had been done. It turns out there is a mains transformer fitted to the bottom of the case with 2 tiny screws into the particle board and these had broken away. I moved the transformer slighly and put the screws back into a new location. Perfect!

However I noticed on Youtube that there are a few people opening up the Code 25 for reviews and to change the speaker etc. They do not have a transformer and linear power supply like mine mounted on the bottom, instead they have a Switching power supply with no transformer mounted on the side of the cabinet.

On both models everything is inside the amp, its a mains connector directly  into the back cover.

As I said it's just 2 ways of doing the same thing Linear and Switching PSU's both have Pro's and Con's. I just wondered which was the newer design, but as my Code has a manufacturing date of October 2020 I assume the transformer version is the newer. (or maybe both designs are still manufactured?).

edited 11 Mar 2021 at 12:52 PM

Joliet Jake (126)

answered 11 Mar 2021 at 12:49 PM

Joliet Jake (126)
Could just be because of a shortage of parts. That's happening alot these days. - richard torres 11 Mar 2021 at 12:57 PM
Very true. - Joliet Jake 11 Mar 2021 at 01:34 PM
Loading - please wait...