Marshall 410c Emulated Output Too Hot.

votes

Using the emulated output into a Focusrite interface the LED's are red even with the preamp set to 0.

Is this how it is supposed to work? I would have thought an 'emulated output would be at line level.

asked 15 Jan 2017 at 02:28 PM

Stephen Galvin Last Name
Answers: 3

votes

Hello,

The emulated line out comes before the master volume controls, so the level is effected by the volume controls on each channel. 

answered 18 Jan 2017 at 08:44 AM

JOANNA GREEN (643)
Thank you.
Well that would be fine, but note the words 'line level'. We drive the volume on each channel high sure, but we cannot just turn down the volume of each channel in a show just to suit the emulated output. The gain control on the interface is on 0 and still the LED's are clipping. That does not sound like 'line level' to me.
The interface is a Focusrite PRO40.
- Stephen Galvin Last Name 13 Feb 2017 at 06:06 AM
The focusrite website informs us of the following:
• Mic and instrument maximum input level +7dBu (+16dBu with pad on inputs 1 and 2).
• Line maximum input level +22dBu.

Which sorry sounds like Double Dutch to my ears. Is that compatible with the voltage the emulated output is sending down the wire?

Thank you.
- Stephen Galvin Last Name 13 Feb 2017 at 06:11 AM

votes

It seems well frankly surprising that an emulated output, intended to provide a signal to the desk approximating that of the sound coming from a loudspeaker should be virtually unusable without cranking the preamp gain to practically zero. Is this a design fault and someone is too embarrassed to take responsibilty, an unintentional oversight, or have I missed some setting? How can it be that an emaulated output to the desk sends the vu meters into the red even when the preamp is on zero?

edited 23 Nov 2018 at 12:51 PM

Stephen Galvin Last Name

answered 23 Nov 2018 at 12:51 PM

Stephen Galvin Last Name

votes

Hello Stephen,

We have never had an issue with the emulated line out on the JVM range, if you are having level issues then you may have a problem with your amplifier and we would recommend that you have it looked at.

Kind Regards

Marshall Support

answered 26 Nov 2018 at 10:10 AM

JOANNA GREEN (643)
Loading - please wait...