Other Pedals?

votes

I was wondering if the Code amps were at all compatible with regular pedals and not just the Code footswitch. If anyboy has experience on this, please help or give me some advice.

Thank you.

asked 18 Mar 2017 at 10:25 PM

Michael Huisamen (2)
I had the same question 😊 - sander de Visscher 19 Mar 2017 at 06:00 PM
Answers: 7

vote

If you are talking about pedals between your guitar and the Input socket then theoretically you could put whatever you like there but need to remember that your pedal's processing will happen before any of the amp's processing which happens in the order:

Pre FX - Power Amp - Modulation - Delay - Reverb - Power Amp - Cabinet. (Same as the button order across the top.)

So you are only really looking at Pre FX, and as James Jordan said you could get clipping if you boost the signal too much. So if you want to stick your own stomp box up front then go for it but watch your levels.

If you are talking abput plugging something into the F/S (footswitch) socket then that is only for footswitch control via Midi commands. There is no send loop on the amp to apply Post FX. I think I've heard people say that you can use non-CODE programmable MIDI footswitches if you set them up correctly but it's not something I've tried myself.

answered 20 Mar 2017 at 10:49 AM

Fretbuzz Lightyear (53)
My tube overdrive pedal (Basically advanced tube screamer) and an EQ pedal work quite well and allows me a little more control and ability to have more than one PreFX which is quite useful since you can only have one PreFX at a time and sometimes you want a little more flexibility.

If you feel your having a bit too much bass either helps dial things in a little. Overall the on board effects are pretty good.
- Adrian Tysoe 20 Mar 2017 at 10:20 PM
Must be mindful of how when switching the order of multiple pedals the sound can be degraded; the signal-to-noise ratio then restricts the leading FX (if low). SN is 1watt of output in DB, a rule in Audio.

Not saying this cannot or should not be done, this being a matched circuit for signal processing w/ CODE lineup, it likely has a very balanced and very
stable signal path.

Adrian Tysoe likely could tell us how just moving EQ from 1st to 2nd (or vice-versa) in-line introduces muddied low end, unfocused high end and... noise. With so much delicate emulation happening within the Amp I'd approach this idea with low expectation at first.

Then, maybe, be pleasantly surprised.
- James Jordan 21 Mar 2017 at 10:37 AM

vote

I used my pedalboard in front of the amp (Code 50) without no problems. Also in live situations with a band.

Chain:

Guitar -Wah wah - MXR phase 90 - Corona chorus - Klon Centaur - Mojo mojo - Spark booster - Code 50 (Plexi)

JM

answered 22 Mar 2017 at 02:58 PM

Jan Marcel de Jong (1)
If OP was unaware how delicate sound reproduction is this amp should provide the foundation for sound to continue to fascinate. Pro Audio is a science which can be negated with having great sound someone identifies with.

Just be respectful to the Amplifier having a set workload, don't assume to be breathing new life into it.

I'd just received mine and am building a duplicate back panel with configuration like that of my Master Lead from the 80's - semi open back - just fiddle with low end extension. That'll be it though - I like Marshall sounds and options-of allowed with CODE.
- James Jordan 22 Mar 2017 at 10:05 PM

vote

Hi.

I am using a CODE 50 and i am happy.

My experience is very good, of course this is not a HIGH END amp, but for the price its an amazing amp for what i need, playing at HOME at lower volumes with quality and flexibility. Its a very nice solution to have in a very easy and cheap way some historical Marshall amps tones, and again this is not the REAL AMPS of course, but the quality and the price are very very GOOD.

I am using tradicional pedals running in front of the amp, due the absence of effects loops i am even running delay in front. The only effect that i am using from the CODE is the reverb.

Now comes one of the best thinks for me, i am using Marshall Footswitch, and i create 6 banks of presets for my taste :-) please see the photo. With this i can have imediatly  diferent amps with the presets that i made, i event put some hang tags identifiyng the names of the presets. 

To record i use 2 SM57, and my main guitar is fender 60 anniversary commemorative stratocaster.

I have sereval other amps, all valves, but again to play in home, record, jam, and so on, this setup is one of the best that i done.

Keep rock in a free world !!

Cheers.

Miguel

answered 21 Jul 2017 at 10:43 AM

miguel souto (1)
looks like you lot should have bought the code 100, which does have an effects loop and a speaker out. Unless this is a recent update that is. - Chris Davies 28 Nov 2017 at 08:25 PM

votes

A pedal in front of the amp could cause clipping. 

There's 100 presets and, like, 14000 ways to change the output.  What stomp box is so special?

answered 19 Mar 2017 at 09:08 PM

James Jordan
I was thinking the same thing. People complain about it not having an effect loop, and I think "why do you need an effect loop with this amp?" The object of this amp is to have everything you need in this little box! - Dennis Bowen 23 Mar 2017 at 12:08 PM
My code 100 has an effects loop and a speaker out. But as per the original question, why not have a pedal in front of the amp? Sure it's ok to fart around and keep changing the setting when practicing, but not in a live situation. Some times you need an effect at a click of a button, hence the beauty of ANY stomp box. - Chris Davies 28 Nov 2017 at 08:22 PM
i have had i code 50 amp for a while now and i use all it's effects, but i have recently gone the route of stomp boxes. and from my experience i prefer the stop boxes and running the amp clean. i just find it better to dail in that specific sound with stomp boxes. this is what works for me i guess everyone is different - Dominique van der Westhuizen 16 Aug 2018 at 06:34 AM

votes

I'm using an older Boss ME50 with multiple effects or clean and just using the pedal for wah or volume. Also use a Ditto pedal for looping which all works great with my Code 50.  Guitar is plugged into Boss ME50, then ran through the Ditto looper and then straight to the Code input on the amp. Watch volume levels and start lower vs higher until you hear the blend. Just remember to get the Code effects you have to record from the usb on the Code amp not from the Ditto looper.  These two pedals set up in front of the Code amp mixed with the Code foot switch works great for me for setting up rythm loops to then play lead over as a second track and then can play drums with my own rythm and lead loops all with Codes patches and easy switching to test different sounds using the Code foot switch. 

answered 24 Apr 2017 at 12:51 AM

David Robe
I do a similar thing with a Digitech Trio+ (Band in a Box) but you have to either send the bass and drums to the MP3 input of the Code or to a separate amp which is what I do. Otherwise the Pre-FX of the Code acts on the drums and bass which totally messes them up. - Dave Witek 29 Apr 2017 at 08:43 PM

votes

I run a compression pedal (Boss CS3) between the guitar and Code 50; it means I can have compression and still use a pre-effect in the amp.  Responds just like an analogue amp would. 

answered 13 May 2017 at 06:29 AM

Ian Holder

votes

Hi all, I am trying to run an overdrive pedal in front of a code 50 and it souds just terrible. I tried to set a clean plexi and disabled any other effect, but still the results are not even comparable to a non-digital amp. Any suggestion?

answered 12 May 2019 at 09:09 PM

Ferdinando Bonfiglio
Loading - please wait...