CODE master volume issue

votes

THIS ISSUE IS STILL ACTUAL !!!  THE MASTER VOLUME ADJUSTMENT IS NOT LINEAR !!! PLEASE MAKE A FIRMWARE UPDATE TO SOLVE THAT !!!

asked 02 Jul 2017 at 08:41 AM

Eug Eugov (4)
This is a real and extremely annoying problem. My Code 50 has always been this way. The Master volume potentiometer goes from zero to LOUD with an awful scratch. I love the amp but hate this problem I would like to be contacted by Marshall and advised how to fix this issue. - Matthew Bell 19 Mar 2018 at 02:59 AM
Hi Matthew,

The Volume pot is not a part of the Firmware so there is no update to change the Volume control, you would need to edit the Volume on the preset section to get the best possible sound from the Code.

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 19 Mar 2018 at 02:31 PM
Hello.

Listen up Marshall Support (and as you well know I've done my fair share of praising you lot but in this instance I cannot):

Matthew (and a whole bunch of others around here on this thread and others) have been made FULLY aware by Marshall Support that it's not a simple firmware update that's going to resolve this issue. In other words: that's not what is being asked. What IS being asked is HOW to fix the issue e.g. by replacing the pot. or something like that??? Note the dates of the posts immediately below this for example i.e. posted in July 2017 (and if I'm not mistaken the other threads on this topic are even older).

Point is (although I realise I don't "speak" for all): if we have to buy and replace the pot. (for example) ourselves then so be it i.e. just a little bit of guidance and input would be appreciated is all.

And sorry (this has been addressed before): for various reasons using the Preset Volume as a workaround is not a solution.

Regards,

Dale.
- Dale Paterson 19 Mar 2018 at 03:05 PM
I have also purchased the CODE footswitch and have created and contributed many tones to the community on marshallcode. The more I think about the silly no-brainer response that this can not be fixed by a firmware update, the more letdown I become. This was a design flaw between the J1SB100K potentiometer and its suitability within the circuitboard's schematic. - Matthew Bell 19 Mar 2018 at 10:15 PM
Answers: 5

votes

Agreed. Mine goes from off to loud with a tiny movement of the volume knob. 

answered 02 Jul 2017 at 04:18 PM

Mike Bull (20)
true...doesn't take much movement of the knob at all..
- dave thomas 03 Jul 2017 at 09:46 AM
I have no problem with mine. - Dennis Bowen 04 Jul 2017 at 11:53 AM
same here, or at least nothing that I've noticed. I suppose I'll have to look further into this as I only use the amp at bedroom level. Due to use the amp this Thursday at a jam. Best time to look at this issue I suppose. - Chris Davies 04 Sep 2018 at 06:42 PM

votes

Hi Eug,

The Volume pot is not a part of the Firmware, R&D are working on this.

Kind Regards

Team Marshall

answered 03 Jul 2017 at 07:53 AM

Ok. But can you advise how it can be solved on the hardware level?
Ex. change the potentiometer, add a resistor or so. It seems the potentiometer has 10 times more resistance than it should be.
- Eug Eugov 03 Jul 2017 at 10:58 AM
This is with our R&D team, as soon as we have a fix, we will let you know.

Regards

Team Marshall
- Lee Tomlin 03 Jul 2017 at 02:18 PM

votes

I have a CODE25 and a CODE50.  CODE25 doesn't have this issue i.e. Master Volume is linear.  Only the CODE50 has the issue.  Actually bought the CODE25 because of this issue with my CODE50 (too loud for practice even at that point where the Master Volume initially "kicks in") (although not complaining i.e. sounds great obviously).  I'm not entirely sure that using / adjusting the Preset Volume is a solution i.e. aside from what's mentioned above re: USB recording volume / headphone / line out volume there is a tonal difference throughout the range (to my ears anyway) but then again this could just be because the speaker is being nicely driven at higher volumes (I don't record via USB / line out but mic. up with 2 x SM57s as the sound via USB is dry mainly because these are not stereo amps.).  I have to admit though: I do worry sometimes when using the CODE50 i.e. with the Preset Volume at max. it only takes the slightest movement or bump of the Master Volume on the CODE50 to cause a bit (a lot actually) of an adrenline rush!!!  LOL!!!  Anyway: in spite of my being flippant here there is an issue with the (my) CODE50.  The Master Volume is indeed linear but only after it has eventually initially "kicked in" (that first little notch or so).  I'm guessing it's simply the pot. (I have the exact same issue with a brand new Behringer mixer i.e. the headphone volume pot. does the exact same thing).

answered 15 Jul 2017 at 08:23 AM

Dale Paterson (105)
It is not just a code 50 that has this problem my code 100 head also has this issue I've tried to clean the pot and now the volume doesn't work at all I am not sure what's going on with these issues but Marshall needs to come up with a solution - Daniel Finch 17 Jul 2022 at 09:09 PM
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your comments, the volume control is not classed as a fault you would have needed to adjust the preset volume to get the sound needed.

Regards

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 18 Jul 2022 at 07:39 AM

vote

Futher to the above:

I just took delivery of another CODE50 and I can confirm that it's the CODE 50 that suffers from this issue i.e. both my CODE50's are rather "sensitive" on the Master Volume (at low volume setting).  Still not really an issue (for me anyway) but just noting for the record.  Not sure if it's the entire CODE50 range or just a batch of them (about a three month gap between the two amps. so not sure if the newest one is from the same imported batch as the first one).

Regards,

Dale.

answered 27 Jul 2017 at 10:00 AM

Dale Paterson (105)

votes

Just lower the preset volume and you will always have a comfortable master volume

answered 04 Jul 2017 at 04:03 PM

Denis Moysienko (85)
To low a preset volume to 0.1 is not a solution.
The preset volume is also the USB recording volume. It must be set to MAX to get an acceptable record level.
Another question is the headphones volume. So it is not a solution.
- Eug Eugov 04 Jul 2017 at 04:10 PM
Do you really record with max volume preset? Always been enough 4-5 for me - Denis Moysienko 04 Jul 2017 at 04:22 PM
Loading - please wait...