Additional pedals!

votes

For those who gig with their marshall codes! Do you use any external pedals? Not so much wah or additional effects more along the lines of a booster pedal? 

Great to hear what people’s set ups are like! 

asked 09 Oct 2017 at 07:13 PM

luke shettle (2)
I have a code 50 with a pedal board...which has a morley volume pedal, a boss compressor, a boss noise suppressor, an ibanez tube screamer and a digitech screamin blues pedal - john cartelli 13 Oct 2017 at 07:36 PM
Hi mate thNks for the reply.

How comes you use the tube screamer? Is it as a boost or just when you want it to get really dirty?
- luke shettle 27 Oct 2017 at 09:11 PM
I like a mild od sound not total saturation...so i run the amp on the cleaner side then dial in some distortion with the TS - john cartelli 14 Nov 2017 at 12:57 AM
Answers: 1

vote

Hello.

Yeh.  I agree.  It's great to hear what other people's set ups are like (but it seems nobody likes sharing for some odd reason).

Me:

I run 2 x CODE amps. in stereo (either 2 x 25's or 2 x 50's depending on the situation).  They're micd. up and go through an Alto Pro TS215 PA with 2 x TS215S subs.  All I run insofar as pedals are concerned is an MXR Dyna Comp compressor and a stereo delay (which is barely "on" i.e. this merely to split the guitar signal to stereo).  To be honest though: with the CODE 50's the Alto Pro PA is not necessary i.e. the CODE 50's cut through the PA "like nobody's business" (and the total RMS of the Alto Pro PA is SUPPOSED to be in the region of 2 x 1 100W + 2 x 1 250W = 4 700W if my math is correct).  I then set up each CODE amp. with very slight FX differences and MAN do I get a good sound!!!  These amps. (in spite of the many complaints about them on the forum) never cease to amaze me to be honest.  I've had one or two Marshall valve heads over the (many) years and I can tell you that these things sound every bit as good (if not better as they are "controllable" at lower volumes).  Dunno.  Could be the amps. maybe???  Could be my guitars maybe (Jackson Dinky JS-1 with Jackson Humbuckers and my Buddy Blaze Lightning Storm VC-II with Seymour Duncan Full Shred and SH-4 JB pickups) (this guitar the equivalent of a Kramer Nightswan II "back in the day")???  All I DO know is that the sound I get from these amps. is absolutely AWESOME.  The one and only issue that I've had is that there is no "standard" method of changing presets on 2 x CODE amps. simultaneously using the PEDL-91009 footcontroller i.e. apparently nobody at Marshall ever considered that MAYBE somebody would want to run 2 x amps. simultaneously.  To this end I am in the process of constructing my own "add-on" footswitch which will facilitate this.

So that's my set up.  It WOULD be nice if it was possible to use more than one BUILT-IN "stompbox" effect on the CODE amps.  But "it is what is is" I guess.  Only additional pedal I MAY source is an octave but that's about it.  For me: I cannot think of any additional pedal or effect that would enhance or improve the quality of the (my) Marshall sound to be honest.

Regards.

Dale.

answered 11 Oct 2017 at 06:43 PM

Dale Paterson (105)
Loading - please wait...