Code 25 Volume dropping intermittently

votes

My Code25 over the last few months, has started to suffer from the volume suddently dropping. It doesn't seem to matter what preset I am using, though the main culprits seem to be the Jubilee Gain with the classic 100w power amp setting and 1960 cab. When it occurs, I either have to come out of the preset, try different presets by pressing the various buttons on the PEDL91009, or by turning the amp off and on. This doesn't happen every time I use the amp, but enough to be an issue, especially when out gigging. I am on the latest firmware of 1.44

An example of the problem can clearly be heard on this recording of a recent practice session. It start at full volume, then just drops considerably.

?

Is this a known issue? Is there likely to be a future firmware update which may adress it?

asked 24 May 2021 at 01:00 PM

Colin Heaps
Answers: 5

votes

I would think its really unlikely to be a firmware issue and sounds more like hardware to me. I would check that it isnt wear on the master volume pot. As people point out this amp is constantly set very low on the master volume. Haveing the pot constantly in the same position can cause wear.

Why dont you try reducing the patch volume and increasing the master volume to compensate so that the master volume in in a new area of the pot and see if that help.

answered 24 May 2021 at 02:29 PM

Joliet Jake (126)
I had already tried that, it actually has the same issue when playing at home and I use the headphone out for monitoring. Then, the master volume is set at '5' (half-way), but to be honest, regardless of what I set the master volume at, the issue is there. - Colin Heaps 24 May 2021 at 03:52 PM

votes

I still think that if it was a firmware issue then more people would have complained about it before now. You could always try restoring the current firmware again incase the firmware on your amp has got corrupted somehow, but to me it still sounds like a hardware issue.

If your amp is under warranty I would contact Marshall support.

answered 25 May 2021 at 07:49 AM

Joliet Jake (126)
Alas, it's well out of warranty now, had it a fair while. - Colin Heaps 25 May 2021 at 09:11 AM
Hi Colin,

If you contact servicedesk@marshall.com, someone will be in touch, they can arrange to have your amp looked at for you.

Regards

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 25 May 2021 at 10:11 AM

votes

Well, things have progressed, now the footswitch Pedl91009 is really acting up, no long just dropping volume. Sometimes, it fails to switch patches, other times, it switches, but the display is dead. Sometimes I get 'U2' on the display, or "Nr", but I can't find any information anywhere on what those codes mean.

I I unplug it, turn the amp off, wait for a minute and turn it back, it may come back on, but if it does, it's stuck on "A1" and nothing works. As it stands, I don't know now if this is the amp failing to "speak" to the footswitch, or if the footswitch itself has gone south. I've tried different cables, (though I'd already replaced the cable following the volume issue). No joy. At £40 for a new pedal, I don't want to pay out for a new one if it's the amp that's going. HELP!

answered 02 Jun 2021 at 12:49 PM

Colin Heaps

votes

In this guide, we will show you how to get started with the Marshall CODE series amplifiers. We’ve gathered all the resources you need to start using the CODE’s features, including the Gateway remote control app and My Marshall website. Follow each section below to learn more and check out your CODE’s owner’s manual (PDF below) for additional information.

edited 14 Jun 2021 at 03:24 AM

ste phen

answered 14 Jun 2021 at 03:22 AM

ste phen

votes

Well I decided the cheapest test was to buy a new Pedl-91009 to see if the amp or the pedal was at fault. As soon as I plugged it in, it became obvious the issue lies with the amp itself, (I am presuming the effects circuit board).  As a new amp can be bought for £130, I am wondering if it is even financially viable for Marshall to take a look at it, or if the combined cost of courier to and from the arshall offices plus repairs / standing charges would end up just as costly.

answered 10 Jul 2021 at 02:59 PM

Colin Heaps
Hi Colin,

Please contact servicedesk@marshall.com and the team will be in touch.

Regards

Marshall Support
- Lee Tomlin 13 Jul 2021 at 09:08 AM
Loading - please wait...