Running two combo amps in stereo.

votes

I have two VS65R combos, I want to run them in stereo. Is this possible? I've never tried to do this and don't want to harm them.

asked 19 Jun 2021 at 02:38 AM

Rodney Thomas
Answers: 1

votes

What do you mean exactly by "run them in stereo". To be stereo you need something that produces a stereo effect (i.e. has a left and right output).

In this case you just connect the left output to one amp and the right out to another amp.

Seymour Duncan Multi-Amp Rigs 101 - Guitar Pickups, Bass Pickups, Pedals

If you just want your guitar coming out of both then some kind of splitter will be needed to split the guitar signal into 2 and feed the split signal to each amp.

In practice I've found that either of these options are just not worth the effort, but maybe you'll like it.

answered 19 Jun 2021 at 09:04 AM

Joliet Jake (126)
I've connected my Dreamscape to two amps - the sound was absolutely amazing... :-) - Jacek Klimkiewicz 19 Jun 2021 at 05:03 PM
Sorry I should have been clearer. I agree, if you have a stereo setup in your bedroom it will probably sound great. However stereo setups generally never work well in a live situation. Very few people in the crowd are well placed to hear a stereo affect, and audience to the left or right will generally not hear what you intended the sound to be,

So my personal opinion is, if you want a great stereo sound, just buy a cheap multi-effects unit that has some stereo effects built in and plug in headphones.
If you want to play live don't even bother trying a stereo mix.
Just my opinion of course.
- Joliet Jake 21 Jun 2021 at 02:39 PM
Stereo is the only way to go. Wet rig on one side and dry on the other. This creates the stereo spread for effects. To thicken the sound I use different amps or at least slightly different EQ settings. You don't really want two of the same thing. It's the difference between copying your track over in a Daw and panning or having two different sounding tracks...now that opens it up. Once you start playing this way I defy you to go back to mono. I'm getting a second Code 100 head and 2/12 cab for this. I've been running tube amps like this for years. With that said lugging around my 65 Blackface that weighs two tons and another amp is getting old....or I am. I was pleased how much I liked the sound of the code but two rigs is a must. They're inexpensive compared to tube amps which makes it a no brainer. 2 full stacks add up to less than a good tube head, crazy. Take a look at the Fulltone splitter. It'll help keep you from electrifying yourself if you forget or can't plug in the same outlet. It has some ground switching options too. - Midnight Son 27 Jun 2021 at 06:46 AM
Loading - please wait...