DI Out question Origin 20c

votes

I'm trying to hook the DI out from an Origin 20c amp to a Mackie Pro FX10 v3 mixer and then to powered speakers. I need the preamp channels on the mixer for mics so I want to plug the DI out to the line input on the mixer withou a gain control, it accepts both balanced and unbalanced. The result is a very weak signal compared to the mics. I'm using a TS cable because that's what Marshall says the DI out takes. Some more ther observations. 
The attenuation effects the output, the strongest signal is with the amp on the high setting. 
The master volume on the amp effects the signal strength. 
If I max the main out and the channel level on the mixer, set the amp on high, and set the master on the amp past 12 o'clock I get a decent signal but that makes balancing between the mics and other instruments difficult and also complicates stage volume.  
Is the DI out on the 20c -10dBV or +4dBV?  Would a Line Level Shifter fix this? Any other advise would help. 

asked 12 Jul 2021 at 01:12 AM

John Bernick
Answers: 1

votes

I looked up you mixer and it looks like you may be mistaken that the line inputs do not have a gain control. It looks like you have line input 5/6, line input 7/8, and line input 9/10, all of which have a eq, fx send, and pan contol, along with a level control. If you plug in on channel 5 or 7, make sure that the pan is panned left, or if 6 or 8, to the right. then bring up the level and you should have signal. You can pan back to the middle once you get the signal. If this does not resolve your issue, maybe try another cable?

answered 16 Aug 2021 at 02:43 AM

Jeffery Walin
You might have been looking at a different model for my mixer. 5/6 and 7/8 don’t have a level or gain knob. And the left channel is mono. However, I did find a solution. In hindsight I should have bought the 12 channel mixer, that would have given me gain on all of the channels. What I ended up doing is investing in a Radial Engineering J+4. It took the full +10db gain setting to bring the level up, which confirmed my suspicion that the DI out on the Origin amp is -10db. Now, even with the Origin on the 5w setting and the master half way up, which is much more quiet then I would ever have on stage, and all the mixer settings straight up, I get a good strong signal in to the mixer. That puts everything close with the mics and gives me room to tweak the mix. The J+4 is pricey but provides the benefit of converting to a balanced signal and a high pass filter. Thanks for replying. Hope this information is helpful to someone else. - John Bernick 18 Aug 2021 at 03:56 PM
Loading - please wait...