Tube ringing, buzzing noise, Origin 20C

votes

Hi there. There is a very audible metallic ringing coming from what most likely sounds like the tubes when the gain or master volume is turned up to a usable level on any power setting. There is also a high-pitched scratching type buzzing (not 60hz or ground buzz) at higher master volume levels even with the tilt, presence, and treble turned all the way down.  It sounds exactly like the problem user Chris Holtmier asked about in his question on Dec 27, 2018. It is brand new shipped, and I noticed this immediately out of the box just 30 mins ago. I have tried other speakers, guitars, guitar cables, position in the room on the floor and tightened all the screws as well as re-seating the tubes. It's probable that the tubes are microphonic after shipping but because of the way it is built, I cant reach the tubes to do the tap test when its plugged in. Although the response to the previous question in mention was stated as "We have not come across a rattle on the Origin 50 Combo" it seems that this is a recurring problem with a few of them as he was referring to a post on another forum about the same kind of noise on an Origin 5 as well.

I guess my question is, why doesn't this work properly brand new and is there anything besides a re-tube that you can suggest to fix the problem without returning it?  I can post a sound file if needed. I usually re-tube with JJs anyways (which I suspect would fix the problem) but for now its actually cheaper to drive a 6 hour round-trip on a weekday to a GC than a $100 re-tube that possibly still might not fix the issue.

Other than that, I do really like the amp. I can tell that I would really enjoy it without the noise. I enjoy the effects loop, line out, gain boost, the tilt knob, and especially the vintage styling. It reminds me of a bluesbreaker. I dont play anything other than lower-wattage cathode-biased 6L6 or EL34 and I love pushing them to the max.  With a Rat going straight in I had a lot of fun with it before I noticed the noises again. I'm willing to admit its just a random lemon but maybe it's just from UPS handling and tubes being the way they are. I am going to play it side-by-side with the same model and check that theory. If its just the tubes I will def get the same amp again.

edited 28 Sep 2021 at 01:05 AM

Steven Acklin (1)

asked 27 Sep 2021 at 07:10 PM

Steven Acklin (1)
Answers: 2

vote

I understand your call/chat centers and/or forum bots must reply with thanks to any complaint...but it's weird and a non-answer in this case. If I'm not talking to a bot, what I specifically asked for is any other solution or answer other than "take your brand new product that should work out of the box to an 'engineer." If it's not possible, just answer the original question and say so. I repair and mod tube amps for my main source of income so I guess with the concept of modern out-sourcing and cheapness of parts/labor I shoudln't be surprised as with any other mass-produced product. Only problem is...in my 3-4 hour driving range area of my city I AM the only engineer available. It's a little difficult for someone in my similar position to find (let alone drive, or god forbid ship) a 37 pound amp to an 'engineer.' Pay half of the amp's worth out-of-pocket to fix it brand new out of the box? No thanks. Albiet I'm not Marshall licensed, but you take what you can get in this or other rural areas. Hell...faced with the same problems and/or concerns of any much larger company or brand today (much less a worldwide-respected brand) I would be forced to make the same decisions of model popularity vs. production costs. Am I bitching? Yes. Should I expect more from a once well-respected company dealing with a brand new out-of-the-box model? Yes and no given the fickle nature of tubes. If it weren't for those damn fragile hastily-made tubes we might be closer to an actual public answer to a major problem of modern quality control. How convienent, indeed. So....Marshall (as in the current corporation) can't say for sure what's really wrong with anything pertaining to the products they make? Why the hell is there even a forum on your site? All the answers are pasted from manuals and mission-statements. Abhorrent is unfortunately the only term that comes to mind. Fortunately my 'local' Guitar Center is conveniently located within a reasonable eight-hour round trip from my town. I didn't speak to anyone who proclaimed or presented themselves to me as a Marshall 'engineer' as neither I nor they speak Vietnamese...however I traded it in for a Supro Delta King 10 (the Origin 20 was out of stock until the unforseeable future at GC) and so far could not be happier. My first electric guitar amp was a solid-state Marshall MG15 purchased in 2004. For a first amp it was great but teenagers are notoriously ignorant. Got enough money back to buy new strings and gas for the trip plus a pint of bourbon to forget about the whole ordeal. Thanks for all the 'help', guys and gals at Marshall.

Regards,
Not A Bot

edited 06 Oct 2021 at 06:12 AM

Steven Acklin (1)

answered 06 Oct 2021 at 05:53 AM

Steven Acklin (1)

votes

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your comments, we would recommend the amp is looked at, it does sound like a valve, but could not say for sure, but would need to be looked at by an engineer.

Regards

Marshall Support

answered 04 Oct 2021 at 08:50 AM

I understand your call/chat centers and/or forum bots must reply with thanks to any complaint...but it's weird and a non-answer in this case. If I'm not talking to a bot, what I specifically asked for is any other solution or answer other than "take your brand new product that should work out of the box to an 'engineer." If it's not possible, just answer the original question and say so. I repair and mod tube amps for my main source of income so I guess with the concept of modern out-sourcing and cheapness of parts/labor I shoudln't be surprised as with any other mass-produced product. Only problem is...in my 3-4 hour driving range area of my city I AM the only engineer available. It's a little difficult for someone in my similar position to find (let alone drive, or god forbid ship) a 37 pound amp to an 'engineer.' Pay half of the amp's worth out-of-pocket to fix it brand new out of the box? No thanks. Albiet I'm not Marshall licensed, but you take what you can get in this or other rural areas. Hell...faced with the same problems and/or concerns of any much larger company or brand today (much less a once-respected world-wide brand) I would be forced to make the same decisions of model popularity vs. production costs. Am I bitching? Yes. Should I expect more from a once well-respected company dealing with a brand new out-of-the-box model? Yes and no given the fickle nature of tubes. If it weren't for those damn fragile hastily-made tubes we might be closer to an actual public answer to a major problem of modern quality control. How convienent, indeed. So....Marshall (as in the current corporation) can't say for sure what's really wrong with anything pertaining to the products they make? Why the hell is there even a forum on your site? All the answers are pasted from manuals and mission-statements. Abhorrent is unfortunately the only term that comes to mind. Fortunately my 'local' Guitar Center is conveniently located within a reasonable eight-hour round trip from my town. I didn't speak to anyone who proclaimed or presented themselves to me as a Marshall 'engineer' as neither I nor they speak Vietnamese...however I traded it in for a Supro Delta King 10 (the Origin 20 was out of stock until the unforseeable future at GC) and so far could not be happier. My first electric guitar amp was a solid-state Marshall MG15 purchased in 2004. For a first amp it was great but teenagers are notoriously ignorant. Got enough money back to buy new strings and gas for the trip plus a pint of bourbon to forget about the whole ordeal. Thanks for all the 'help', guys and gals at Marshall.

Regards,
Not A Bot
- Steven Acklin 06 Oct 2021 at 05:36 AM
Loading - please wait...