Master Volume on Studio Classic SC20H

votes

Hi There,

The master volume on the SC20H seems to take things down pretty quiet while still sounding good. I'll typically play it in 5W mode at around 1 on the master.

For the sweet spot of this amp, supposing on the high input the gain is set to around 3'oclock is there a sweet spot for the master? Or is this amp designed to sound good with the master from the ground up? I have tested playing this amp with an attenuator with the master on 7 but things actually seem a little bigger and more defined WITHOUT the attenuator and a lower MV. 

Some input from Marshall about the intended function of the master here would be really helpful for me in dialing in this amp. I ask because the audio samples on the Marshall site have the master around 7 with these settings and many of the YouTube reviews do as well so I am wondering if I am missing something. 

Thanks!

edited 04 Nov 2021 at 12:35 PM

John Markos

asked 04 Nov 2021 at 12:33 PM

John Markos
Answers: 2

votes

Hello John,

The Master Volume on the SC20 does affect the sound and feel of the amplifier. I would say having the Master between 4 and 7 will allow the power stage to sound and respond to it’s best. The low end will open up around 4 and beyond this you will have more power amp saturation and compression.

Kind Regards

Marshall Support

answered 05 Nov 2021 at 10:49 AM

Awesome thanks for this super helpful answer! - John Markos 05 Nov 2021 at 02:14 PM

votes

this is really very good post, thank you for sharing with us  ?

edited 13 Dec 2021 at 08:21 AM

Cowessess Nuka

answered 09 Nov 2021 at 08:56 AM

Cowessess Nuka
Loading - please wait...