DSL 20 Tube Substitution

votes

Could EL84 tubes be substituted in place of the EL34s if need be?  EL34s are becoming less available.

asked 17 Mar 2022 at 07:46 PM

Harry Strauss
Hey Harry fill this out. Pick EL 34 & 12AX7 and other tubes on the list and choose Quality. Summit with your email. A American Company is going to start making tubes in the USA for us. They recognize the shortage. There company is called Western Electric. Pass this around So we can all get new tubes here in the USA.
it wont let me ad website just google search WE+-+Wordmark Black.png We make electron tubes
And the 1st link will be it. When it open Western Electric site click I'm Interested and it will let you pick the tubes selections for them to make EL34 , 12AX7 ect. tell others about this. we are going to have a tube shortage if this company don't help.
- John Brooks 29 Apr 2022 at 08:00 AM
Answers: 1

votes

Quick answer: NO

They have not only different electrical parameters, but different socket connections as well, so mounting EL84 in EL34 socket is simply impossible.

BTW - I can't see any problem with availability:

www.thomannmusic.com/el34_vacuum_tubes.html

edited 18 Mar 2022 at 09:02 AM

Jacek Klimkiewicz (234)

answered 18 Mar 2022 at 08:55 AM

Jacek Klimkiewicz (234)
there selling out everywhere. people are buying them up. the valves made in Russia are not coming for the time being. plus the price has double and tripled look at sweet water. A American company Western Electric is going to start manufacturing tube for us. They want input on the types first. Here is the web site to help them decide on the types of tubes we need for amps. Spread the word. it wont let me ad website just google search WE+-+Wordmark Black.png We make electron tubes
And the 1st link will be it. When it open Western Electric site click I'm Interested and it will let you pick the tubes selections for them to make EL34 , 12AX7 ect. tell others about this. we are going to have a tube shortage if this company don't help.
- John Brooks 29 Apr 2022 at 08:12 AM
Loading - please wait...