Android app always defaults to and sets the amp to preset 00

votes

Is there any way to have it launch and use the current amp state? Maybe I've missed a setting. This has occasionally bit me when I adjust the amp then run the app.

asked 02 Jul 2022 at 04:41 PM

Jon Jacobi (4)
Answers: 6

votes

Not that I can find. The app is fun, but it does have some problems. I've had it intermittantly jump to a different patch, I've had it reset the current patch back to the defaults while editing. When saving a patch I've had it set the volume, gain, bass, treble etc of the current patch all to zero losing any changes you had made.

Only thing that is for sure is that Marshall are no longer interested in fixing any problems with code, they barely even respond to any questions about it anymore.

I think you have to accept Code equipment for what it is, it's not professional musical equipment. Once I accepted that fact I was a lot happier with it.

answered 02 Jul 2022 at 06:15 PM

Joliet Jake (126)

votes

I find it quite great for recording, but Marshall could definitely refine the product some more. But that might mean paying Softube or some other dev more money. ;-) I was just wondering if there was a trick I was missing. If not, I'll accept my fate... 

answered 02 Jul 2022 at 08:28 PM

Jon Jacobi (4)

votes

I agree.

I still enjoy my Code 25, it's a fun inexpensive practice amp, but I don't see it as anything more than that.

Apart from the app I've never had any problems with mine, but due to the apparent lack of support If it broke I doubt I would get another one.

Marshall could easily fix the app and the audio issues with some models and effects, but I think it's clear they regard Code as a failure and have no intention of investing any more time or money on it. So yes, accept it for what it is and just have fun with it. 

The one plus about Code is that if this website went down, and the app stopped, you can still use all the sounds of the amp direct from the control panels. You can't say that about similar Fender, Blackstar, Yamaha, positive grid etc amps. Some of them will need to go in the dumpster even if there is nothing wrong with them just because you cant do a thing with them without an app or web site of some sort. For that Marshall should be credited.

edited 02 Jul 2022 at 11:42 PM

Joliet Jake (126)

answered 02 Jul 2022 at 11:34 PM

Joliet Jake (126)

votes

I would definitely buy another one and I actually have two. I've found nothing I like better for direct recording (line out).  For appartment recording, I think it nails the Plexi and other Marshall tones. I wouldn't gig with it though and if I had a studio where I could get loud, I'd likely go head and cabinet.

edited 03 Jul 2022 at 02:12 AM

Jon Jacobi (4)

answered 03 Jul 2022 at 02:12 AM

Jon Jacobi (4)

votes

I agree with everything you say, but unfortunately these do not seem to be the most reliable of amps. This coupled with Marshall's lack of investment in support for the product means I'd probably go for something else. I suspect that once the current stocks are sold you wont be able to buy them new anymore anyway. Even in the UK where Marshall are based most stores only sell Code 25 and Code 50, it's not as common to find a Code 100c or 100h or Code cabs.

answered 03 Jul 2022 at 09:32 AM

Joliet Jake (126)

votes

I should've specified. For live use, I would go with a normal , non-modeling cabinet and head, not a CODE setup. Beyond recording and practice, I don't know about it, but I'm not looking to change my tone that much live. Keep is simple..  

answered 03 Jul 2022 at 05:53 PM

Jon Jacobi (4)
Hi..Newbie here...im interested to know why would you not use a code for live ?..i have a code 100 and its plenty loud enough..thanks. - IAN HUGHES 02 Aug 2022 at 02:26 PM
Loading - please wait...