Here are a few things I would suggest as improvements to the Marshall Code series. I have a 25 so some things may be specific to that amp. I have stuck to things that could be improved only by software or firmware as these are improvements everyone can have simply by updating the firmware rather than modifying the amp itself.
1. Reduced power mode to switch between full power and lower power mode. This would fix the volume control issue everyone complains about. Maybe this could be a global setting in the firmware ?
2. USB audio Volume level setting (e.g. -3dB, 0dB, +3dB etc). This could also be a global setting in the firmware ?
2. Normalise the volumes of the models, some are way too hot (British class A power-amp), some are way too low (Natural pre-amp). I beleive this is the reason why some models have strange low frequency distortion (50s British, OD DSL).
3. Show the configuration of the Cab models, not everyone is a Marshall fanboy and I have no idea what cab a "1960X". even if it was displayed as "1960X (4x12)" I would at least know what the configuration of cab the model is.
4. Fix the spring and hall reverbs, they sound very cheap, like the "echo" you would get on a cheap karaoke machine, certainly nothing like a spring reverb.
5. For god's sake release an official desktop editor!!! with the option to save/restore/edit patches.
6. A sync button to sync the amp presets with your gateway. It you want to rearage the patches online in gateway, you have to manually save all the patches one at a time to the amp using the phone app. So if you add a new patch at position 0, you have to manually save all 100 patches one at a time in order to match your gateway sounds!
7. Fix the tuner, it is pretty bad on both the amp and the app. It's slow to respond and not very accurate (at least thats what its like on mine). Ive no idea how well it works on the foot controller.
8. If possible add a Fuzz pedal model, even at the expense of removing another model (I wouldnt miss the pretty poor Acoustic simulator for instance).
These are just some suggestions that I feel would make the amp just a little bit better, but in general I'm having a lot of fun with this little amp, and love the sounds and features it has. It is way better sounding than some of the negative reviews online would suggest.
Maybe other people can suggest firmware updates too?
Hi, I just recieved my Code 50 yesterday "bought brand new" and the amp sounded great until i hooked up to my pc this morning and downloaded a featured preset not a communiy preset. I am running usb not bluetooth and its my studio setup. Now all the distortion and gain sounds like the input gain is wide open clipping the signal coming in at all volume levels, and on all distortion and od gain presets. I tried to reset the amp and did a firmware update now its litterally so bad you cant play it. This is certainly a software issue cause the effects and clean tones sound fine. This happened immediatley after i sent the preset usb from the website to the amp from the pc. Also i tried several guitars, usb cables, guitar cables and even my mac. just dont know wether i should send it back or if thiscan be fixed with a firmware patch or something , Thanks
I love the sound of my amp just as is out of the box ....I never thought to update the firmware ...it's of no super significance because I can make my own custom presets ,...
Buit when I decided to use the usb connection it looks as though there are these ( teeth) looking holes in it ....where the usb cable gos and my question is
What kind of CABLE ( speciality) or USB CABLE FITS THIS CODE 100 COMBO ?
Micro USB OR ??
HIT ME UP When u can
owned a code 25 for a while now but only really started using it during lockdown but have to say I'm really impressed. I'm just using it for living room playing and connected to my DAW as a way of laying down ideas but seriously, it's REALLY good.
For context, I've played guitar for 27 years and working in live music has been my primary source of income (pre lockdown....) for around 17 years. I'm usually a live-sound engineer and tour manager and occasionally fill in the gaps with some guitar-teching. I'm uk-based but have international clients, mostly guitar-based, playing mostly academy sized venues but have done major festivals worldwide and one short stint of an arena tour. The point here is not to blow my whistle, simply to say I've spent a lot of time being exposed to all manner of amps and modelling.
I own a line 6 helix and while the CODE isn't as flexible with regards to I/O, I genuinely feel like it's amp-modelling, especially for crunch, fuzzy or blown out tones, blows the Helix out of the water. Not that I'm as likely to use metal tones or had much cause to tweak them but I've noticed those kind of presets can sound a little thin. Also, higher gain sounds in general could benefit from a graphic EQ somewhere in the modelling chain, as it can be prone to squeak at frequencies usually outside of a regular amps range, presumably because of the full-range nature of the cab.
So, my query is, is there any chance that the CODE range is likely to get any substantial firmware updates or maybe 2nd generation hardware that could bring additional functionality/Pro level durability and a decent footswitch... I'm impressed that you've managed to get that much functionality out of a mono-jack but a few extra switches or even just midi connectivity for use with after market footswitched to access would open the amp right up.
Personally, I'd love to see one capable of more complex I/O routing i.e. the ability to record your dry input to DAW over usb and similarly, route from the DAW to the amp input for re-amping.
Midi I/O and an xlr input with phantom and a decent sounding pre would make it a nice little hub for a solo recording setup.
Anyway, great work Marshall/Softube, really hope you develop the line further.
if i use a clean preset of the marshall code 100H i got issues with crackling sounds. Even after turning it off and on. Its extremly annoying and it destroyes all that i record into my DAW. With this crackling sounds this Device is absolutly useless!! I've also updated to the latest Firmware version but nothing changed!
Hello, I have acquired the CODE 25, really an excellent amplifier, very versatile and very good presets. My problem and please I hope you help me to resorve it, is that even though I can connect via Bluetooth, I can listen to my tracks ....... the big problem is that when I want to use the FX or presets it appears that there is no amplifier connected ... (either from my android phone or my Ipad I ... I do not understand what the problem is.) Secondly, when I want to install the MARSHALL FIRMWARE UPDATE UTILITY, to enter presets or update the ampli, does not recognize the connection.I request guidance to be able to make full use of such a beautiful tool for my music.I use Widows 10 and G. Chrome.For your attention, thank you very much
My son has a Code 25 and the preset knob stopped working i had a look at it last night and tried the firmware update from the web site now it wont do anything and just says check USB. has anyone had this problem or have a solution.
thanks in advance