Questions
Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

votes

answers

views

Hi all

I play a vintage 1968 (or '69, not quite sure) 100W Super Lead and have been fiddling with the settings for quite some time now.
My main goal is to get a nice high-gainy sound out of the thing, but I can't really seem to figure out how.

I've read online about boosting my input-level and adding a bit of crunch with an overdrive-pedal.
Turning the 2 channels up halfway and adding a little overdrive gets me there to some extent,
but the amp sounds a bit muddy right now and I feel like it doesn't like being gained up that much.

My main questions are:
 1) Should I find a different amplifier to get a heavy-metal tone?
 2) If not, do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance!
Anton

asked 12 Jun 2019 at 10:58 AM

Anton Mergaerts

votes

answers

views

Putting two old Super PA's and one old Super Lead (or Bass, hard to say) back in service.  None have any parts, so this is more a labor of love than anything.  Anybody know where I could source the following?

100 Watt Super PA #20975 - has the back panel, no front panel.  Would prefer a plexi front panel, undrilled, but would be fine with a metal panel.

50 Watt Super PA #10210. - has the back panel, no front panel. Would prefer a plexi front panel, undrilled, but would be fine with a metal panel.

70's era Super - Unsure whether a Lead or Bass. Has the front panel, but no back panel.  Would prefer a metal back panel, undrilled if possible. 

Note: Over the years I was able to find two JTM100 plexi Super PA front panels, but sadly they won't work for my projects.  I think they were both from amps around 1965 or 1966 (the ones with the creme back panels), because they have the Mark IV on the front as well as the JTM 100. The holes are completely different than what are on my two Super PAs that have gold back panels.  Mine were probably produced somewhere between 1967 and 1969; perhaps the front panel drilling was standardized by then (I heard a rumor that front panels were hand drilled early on).  

asked 23 Mar 2018 at 06:16 PM

Richard Kimzey
Showing results 1 to 2 of 2
Loading - please wait...