What's the best choice

votes

Hi, I’m Armaan from India, I wanted to buy a Marshall DSL 20C, so I wanted to know if you recommend me to buy a code 50, a origin 20, a dsl40c or any other?

Thanks & Regards
Armaan from Hindiyaar

edited 05 Mar 2020 at 04:09 AM

Armaan Singh

asked 27 Feb 2020 at 12:09 PM

Armaan Singh
Answers: 1

votes

Hi Armani,

depends what kind of sound you want. Either of the dsl amps will tend towards overdrive/distortion. You can get clean tones from them but essentially the are rock amps I suppose. I find the dsl sound to be lacking warmth, but that's just personal opinion.

i have both a Code50 and Origin20 combos. Code is loud, even trimming the master volume to minimum it's loud for home use, I can certainly keep to lower volume levels with the Origin (can drop it to approx 0.5W).

i like them both. The Code has so much versatility and I just love the blues breaker and plexi patches. While it's not complicated to use it involves some thought and decisions on tone and maybe isn't as immediate as the Origin. I like the way the Code works, once you have decided what preamp, power amp, cabinet and speaker type you want it's easy to use it like a normal non modelling amp. The built in effects are pretty good (especially like the governor overdrive) and it's easy enough to put pedals in front of the amp, however there is no effects loop so you may have to compromise modulation type pedals. The footswitch is highly recommended.

on to the Origin. It's lovely! Sound is JTM to Plexi (or maybe just less dirty than a plexi). Takes pedals well and has an effects loop. It's nice to just walk up to it, turn it on and play. No thought required. On its own it's not gonna do modern metal, unless you use pedals, but has lovely tone and plenty of options to tweak your tone. Comes with footswitch for gain boost and effects loop. The loop does mean your going to need four leads if you are going to use it and have pedals in front of the pre-amp.

hope this all helps you in your considerations. Have fun with whichever one you plump for.

ali

edited 04 Mar 2020 at 01:34 PM

Alistair James

answered 04 Mar 2020 at 01:27 PM

Alistair James
Loading - please wait...