code 50

votes

new purchase. I have a custom Eddie Van Halen replica orginal. Excact copy of the famous Frankie. 

I have spent time on the app and making adjustments however I dont get the sound i was hope for. Perhaps I need to add an FX ex Boss ME-50. To get the sound i am looking for.  ACDC / Kiss / VH. all i get is a little louder version of my guitar. I have watched many videos on line and they change the setting and get classic rock sounds. Like a Gibson or whatever. Classic rocks sounds.  I have tried many VH and ACDC pre programmed set ups and still not he tone i am looking for. What am i missing?

Thanks 

asked 03 Feb 2023 at 10:34 PM

Tim RINEHART
Answers: 3

votes

Hi Tim.

In my opinion I don't think you'd need Boss ME-50, stompboxes, or anything to get the tone you want. I use some user custom presets you can find here at My Marshall (like Cranked Plexi, Van Panama, EVH Unchained, Van Halen Panama, Ain't EVH), or whatever. Seems you have some issue with your periphereals or with your Code itself. Have you tried another Code amp, guitar or cable? Also, try to create your own preset from scratch, forget the Code's internal presets. Use a Plexi, Classic Marshall 100W and Marshall 1960 cab as a starting point, but disabling the cabinet also helps. Code amps demands a lot of tweaking sometimes, I used to spent hours in looking for a tone.

Wish you luck.

Regards,

answered 07 Feb 2023 at 06:11 PM

Gustavo França (4)
And replace the speaker with a 4x12 cab with the speaker Van Helen used. This is a combo (e.g for Blues) but not a full stack. I have two 4x12 cabs on my 100h and it rocks. - Alex Thies 07 Feb 2023 at 08:49 PM

votes

Hi again, Tim.

If you wish to use bigger cabinets (e.g. 2x12 or 4x12) some mods will be necessary to your Code 50 combo (not recommended if you're still on warranty) since there's no external speaker output on those models.

Replacing the original speaker with a better quality one (also not recommended while on warranty) would also be an excellent upgrade. I use a 1x12 cabinet loaded with a massive 150 Watts Eminence Patriot Texas Heat along with my Code 100h head with excellent results. My other Marshall MG 50CFX combo also sports a Celestion Seventy 80 speaker, and it's a pure beast!

Best Regards,

edited 09 Feb 2023 at 12:36 AM

Gustavo França (4)

answered 09 Feb 2023 at 12:28 AM

Gustavo França (4)
No, 2 speakers have more pressure than 1 speaker, 4 more than 2 and 8 more than 4. At minimum you need a 4x12 cab. Just test it. Rock n roll with a combo is no rock n roll. - Alex Thies 09 Feb 2023 at 07:30 PM
And start tests with Greenbacks or Vintage 30. I like both together. Vintage 30 more Guns n roses sound and Greenback more AC/DC modern studio style. Both together AC/DC Live at Donington style. - Alex Thies 09 Feb 2023 at 07:32 PM

votes

If money isn't an issue I also agree that a V30 loaded 4x12 cabinet would make all the difference in the world. The thing is that in the country I live just one 60 Watts V30 speaker unit costs almost the same as a brand new Code 50, therefore something totally unfeasible.

Regards,

answered 09 Feb 2023 at 08:54 PM

Gustavo França (4)
Loading - please wait...