problem socket USB CODE 25

votes

Hello Marshall
I'm a beginner in guitar, and the code25 and my first amp, so happy !
but the front USB socket on the code25 leaves me with doubts about its solidity...
after 1 year of use my usb socket on code 25 no longer works, by plugging and unplugging so much, the connector is worn.
I of course changed the USB cable, and tried on another PC.
Is there a way to repair the USB connector? or change it?

thanks best regards for your support stef

asked 23 Oct 2023 at 08:37 AM

stephane brackez
Answers: 4

votes

I doubt there is any way you can repair the USB socket, as you can see here it is soldered directly on to the DSP module PCB.

You would need someone who can replace the socket and is experienced in surface mount soldering. Not that difficult if you have the equipment, but not everyone can fo it.I suspect the cost would probably be around the cost that you can probably buy a used Code 25 for anyway.

Do you really have any need for the USB socket? Is there anything you can't do from the phone app in terms of downloading patches etc? and I have found recording direct from the headphone socket to actually be more convenient than using USB audio and sounds pretty good.

edited 24 Oct 2023 at 08:41 AM

Joliet Jake (126)

answered 24 Oct 2023 at 08:39 AM

Joliet Jake (126)

votes

thank you for your reply dear Jake
after searching the module DSP is no longer for sale on the web
I'm going to disassemble the module and see if I can finely resolder it :/

I use USB socket for firmware update
and to record digitally on my home studio software
from my PC I send the soundtrack to the IN Jack 3.5 of code 25
the code 25 usb socket allows me to recover the sound of the guitar digitally without hearing the soundtrack
regards stephane 

edited 24 Oct 2023 at 07:18 PM

stephane brackez

answered 24 Oct 2023 at 04:59 PM

stephane brackez

votes

I just opened the amp, the solders are too thin on the module DSP
it is impossible to solder with a soldering iron without damaging a few things...

for the next amp no usb socket for me !

answered 24 Oct 2023 at 07:16 PM

stephane brackez

votes

Its not a problem with USB sockets, its a product of modern manufacturing techniques.  You will have the same problem with any modern digital style amp.

It is still possble to replace the socket, but you need special equipment to do the surface mount desoldering and resoldering required. If you ask around I'm sure you can find someone who can repair it, but I guess the cost may be too high. Of course Marshall could repair it, but that may be expensive too.

I hear exactly the same problems with people who own modern Fender, Boss, Blackstar etc.

I like the Code 25 for a convenient practice amp, but my gigging amp is an old Peavey Bandit. Loud and reliable, plus much more repairable than any modern amp. but of course no features such as bluetooth or modelling etc.

answered 25 Oct 2023 at 06:04 PM

Joliet Jake (126)
Loading - please wait...