Understanding 2x12 Cab Wiring

votes

Context:

I have a Marshall DSL100 head and a MX212 cabinet. According to the Marshall website, the MX212 is an 8 Ohm cab and it has 2 Celestion Seventy 80 speakers (80W, 16 Ohm each).

Based on this, I supposed that the cabinet should be wired in parallel (16 Ohm / 2 speakers = 8 Ohm cab), like in the following diagram:

Currently, I have the speaker cable plugged from the 1x8 Ohm output to the input of the cab. It works perfectly and I haven't had any problem after almost 2 years of use.

The issue started when I decided to check the inside of the cab. I noticed that the speakers are wired like this:

From what I understand, this may also be another type of parallel wiring (If that exists). I would like to know if this is normal or something is wrong.

Thanks.

asked 17 Feb 2024 at 07:19 PM

Juan Langle
Answers: 2

votes

Both diagrams are identical. As (-) of the speakers are connected together, there is no difference whether a wire from the socket is soldered to the left or right speaker.

answered 17 Feb 2024 at 10:14 PM

Jacek Klimkiewicz (234)

votes

As pointed out, both diagrams are identical.

There is another wiring method called series wiring, in this case you would add both the speaker values together e.g. 2 x 8 ohm would give an overall 16 ohm.

answered 23 Feb 2024 at 02:07 PM

Joliet Jake (126)
Loading - please wait...